Escaped Neriten Snail Found 3 Weeks Later- What Now?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by sophi, Oct 11, 2018.

1. sophiWell Known MemberMember

Hi everyone,
    About 3 weeks ago, one of my nerite snails escaped and we we're unable to find him. Well today, he was found at last behind a chair amonst some cords. I thought for sure he was dead, but there was no smell coming from him, and he's still tucked into his shell. Usually in the past, dead snails would just fall out of the shell and smell absolutely horrendous. I gently poked his foot, which was very hard/dry but got no response.

I have him floating in the tank inside a small container, hoping the water will hydrate him again. He's been soaking for about an hour and sadly no response yet. I know they can last quite a bit out of water, but is 3 weeks too long? He also took a nasty fall and has a crack across his shell, but it's only on the exterior. I'm honestly not sure if hesh alive or not... I'm hoping for the best but is there anything more I can do? I'm just waiting for now, but lets say he is alive- should I feed him something special or just let him back into the tank normally?

I know he's a "just a snail" but still, I just wanna do my best to help the little guy out. Hope he is still alive, I really have no idea. Any ideas?

EDIT- Oh lord the typos, I mean NERITE snail not Neriten! My phone and its Auto-correct, Oh gosh...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  2. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

I honestly can't see him being alive after three weeks, 2 days yes after that dehydration will set in

3. nospacesValued MemberMember

Fingers crossed! All you can do is hope! I would take a tubaware container and fill it up a little with the aquarium water that they're from and leave them to soak, it can take up to half an hour.
    Im not super well versed in aquatic snails leaving their water but I know for a fact that land snails can hibernate for upwards of 6 months if they aren't happy in their conditions.
    I've had some look completely dried up but once I gave them a bath they were totally ok!

4. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

Now @Sophie I have just been reading of nerite snails living after being out of the water a month, how they survive this long without dehydration is beyond me, the only thing to do is keep an eye on him, mine were dead after 2 days, just my luck I suppose

5. sophiWell Known MemberMember

I'm really hoping he'll recover! Still hasn't moved in the tubaware container he's in, I still have him floating in his original tank so he's staying nice and warm. Should I keep him in the container or let him loose in the tank? Still no response from him sadly so I just wanted to keep him isolated for his sake. Maybe if he's in the tank, in his familiar settings... Perhaps he'd respond then?

6. nospacesValued MemberMember

Id keep him in the tub so it's easier to keep an eye on him! And if he is dead, he might release ammonia or mess with your levels in your tank :(

7. sophiWell Known MemberMember

Yeah IllI be be keeping him in the tub over night, plus I sprinkled in a tiny bit of blanched spinach. Hoping that encourages him to come out. Still no signs of life... I wonder if he just dried up possibly and that's why he doesn't smell? I want to believe he's alive but I'm beginning no think he may not have made it. :( Weird thing is, nothing in the room smelled at all and when he escaped...surely we would have smelled something if he had died. Very strange indeed...

8. sophiWell Known MemberMember

Alrighty I'm almost certain the little guy is a goner. Left him in for a few hours now, no response. I took him out and used a flashlight on him and I did see his body but it wasn't against the shell, not wrapped in. So I guess the "foot" just got jammed/sealed shut since it wouldn't budge. I kinda poke at it against and a tiny gap opened up to where yep, that good ol' rotten snail stench appeared. Welp.

I'm not surprised, it's been nearly a month now and we assumed our dogs ate him, so we kinda gave up looking for him. He made it quite far from his tank surprisingly, guess that's why we never assumed to check there hahaha. Thank you guys for the help though, just wanted to see if there was anything I could have done if he were alive. :p Gonna be trying the vaseline trick people put along the edges of the tank to keep the snails from escaping!

9. nospacesValued MemberMember

Im so sorry for your loss :(
    SIP lil fella