Question Escape Artists

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I can’t sleep tonight and my mind has been wandering to fish. So many fish, snails, aquatic frogs and whatnot are escape artists. A HOB filter leaves some wiggle room especially for snails or frogs which can just climb right on out of the tank. How do people go about closing those hob filter gaps?

OP
UnknownUser

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kallililly1973 said:
Maybe an extra piece of plastic like plexiglass cut to fit tighter around the filter?
I thought about plastic cut to fit too, but when my hob filter presses against the plastic lid it creates a veryyyy loudddd vibration against it that would be obnoxious if it was constant

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Stuff a bit of wool in the gap that's what my lfs does and recommended

OP
UnknownUser

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SnookusFish said:
Stuff a bit of wool in the gap that's what my lfs does and recommended
The wool wouldn’t get soaked and eventually grow bacteria from evaporation water?

Oriongal

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I haven't kept frogs, but my shrimp tank is open top (no lid) and the snails don't climb out (ramshorns, MTS). They also don't climb out of water features outside.

I have had a nerite climb out of the top opening on an acrylic tank, found it sitting on top. They do need to get out of the water now and then, though they usually do it inside the tank. I left it where it was, and eventually it went back in.

Only one of my swordtail tanks has a HOB, and there's a pretty good gap where it is. Haven't had any escapees, same also never had any in the acrylic tank when I had them in there. They'll jump out of a bucket in a heartbeat, but they don't seem as inclined to jump when in a well planted tank.

If it's a big concern it's probably worth changing to a small canister, sponge, or submersible filter instead.

OP
UnknownUser

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oriongal said:
I haven't kept frogs, but my shrimp tank is open top (no lid) and the snails don't climb out (ramshorns, MTS). They also don't climb out of water features outside.

I have had a nerite climb out of the top opening on an acrylic tank, found it sitting on top. They do need to get out of the water now and then, though they usually do it inside the tank. I left it where it was, and eventually it went back in.

Only one of my swordtail tanks has a HOB, and there's a pretty good gap where it is. Haven't had any escapees, same also never had any in the acrylic tank when I had them in there. They'll jump out of a bucket in a heartbeat, but they don't seem as inclined to jump when in a well planted tank.

If it's a big concern it's probably worth changing to a small canister, sponge, or submersible filter instead.
I wonder if they’re smart enough to realize leaving the tank would kill them cuz there’s no water anywhere else. Sounds like your babies love their homes!

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stretch plastic mesh over the top. That should contain any jumpers & climbers and allow for the exchange of gases at the surface.

Oriongal

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
LivebearerMom said:
I wonder if they’re smart enough to realize leaving the tank would kill them cuz there’s no water anywhere else. Sounds like your babies love their homes!
The swordtails unfortunately aren't smart enough, given how many I've had jump out of buckets (or attempt to) while moving them. I guess they presume that even if they land on ground, they can flop back into water nearby (as they probably could, if they'd jumped out of a stream instead.)

Lots of plants tends to make them dash horizontally rather than vertically, if something startles them or another fish is asserting dominance. If I don't have a lid for a bucket, sometimes I'll grab some floating plants to toss in and keep them calmer.

The snails, I've always presumed are just good at sensing nearby water. Especially those that need to get out of the water now and then.

OP
UnknownUser

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oriongal said:
The swordtails unfortunately aren't smart enough, given how many I've had jump out of buckets (or attempt to) while moving them. I guess they presume that even if they land on ground, they can flop back into water nearby (as they probably could, if they'd jumped out of a stream instead.)

Lots of plants tends to make them dash horizontally rather than vertically, if something startles them or another fish is asserting dominance. If I don't have a lid for a bucket, sometimes I'll grab some floating plants to toss in and keep them calmer.

The snails, I've always presumed are just good at sensing nearby water. Especially those that need to get out of the water now and then.
That’s really interesting. I’ve thought about putting a snail or two in my 10 gal but was afraid they’d just wander out and I’d end up finding a snail in my bathtub or something hahaha

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just tape some satan wrap down tbh. It’s easy to mold to the shape you want, you can tape it down tight and it won’t leave any gaps cause you can just cover the whole filter (I use the internal hob ones from aqueon) and it’s cheap!

tum0r

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've never had the pleasure of keeping frogs, but I've had plecos, nerites, and the occasional catfish realize they can climb the hob when the water level is high enough. If you keep water levels an inch or more below the rI'm of the tank it should deter most fish, and even snails from trying the climb out. The best deterrent overall is just cutting a glass lid to fit around the hob (obviously not too closely, just enough so that no water spills over onto the glass). I like the idea A201 suggested, you could even use the plastic mesh typically used to make tank dividers.

New Threads