Escape Artist?!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by AllieSten, Apr 17, 2017.

1. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I made one of those DIY tank dividers as Finnley was not liking his new 10g. He wouldn't come out hardly at all. It was always in the plans to divide the tank. So he keeps getting to the other side somehow. I cannot figure it out. I was actually standing there with my hand in the tank when it happened and I still didn't see it. Is there a way to make it more secure? I have it secure on the top edge, with sand and plants along the bottom edge. It has to be that he is getting through on the sides some how. Although Both of the sides don't seem to have a space big enough to squeeze through

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. trixirita

trixirita Valued Member Member

Do you have a lid? Often kids discourage jumping and will secure the tank more. If not, you can use simple methods to stop jumping instead. I recommend duckweed or water lettuce for floating plants. When fish are that something is blocking the surface like plants or a lid they will not jump. If you have any smaller fish you can also make them a practice dummy to see if they can escape, I sometimes test dividers with my guppies before I put bettas.

3. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

He may jump it which is never wracking to think because one mistep and he will end up like one of my tiger barbs, 3 feet below my guayaba tree.

4. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

I do have a lid. He definitely isn't jumping. I was standing there when it happened earlier. I would have noticed him jumping, I think he was just pushing the divider on the side and sneaking through. I need to figure out how to secure it better along the bottom I think.

5. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Bury the bottom part in the substrate, and push the side bars against the tank walls. I had to do that for my little escape artist.

6. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

I think I need to cut down the side bars so I can shove them to the sides better. I have them all the way top to bottom, so the frame gets in the way. It might be preventing me from getting it all the way over.

Thanks! I didn't think to move it that way.

7. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Reminds me of a vid of a Betta swimming through a hose for about 1,5 meters to get in another tank. Tried to find it.

8. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

I am not surprised! Finnley's personality has really emerged the last few days. I had him in is own 5g tank until last week. He was so laid back before. I couldn't get him to flare at all. Even when I tried as hard as I could. Now he is flaring at the drop of a hat. It's nice to see him come alive. At first he hated the 10g. I think he is enjoying himself escaping like that. He is so funny. I am still dividing the tank though so I can get another betta. So I gotta figure it out. He may end up back in a 5g again, on his own lol

9. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

I ended up adjusting the side bars and offsetting them some. I will cut out a notch in the mesh, near the top, once I measure it in the tank. That way it will fit over the frame lip better. I am sure it will take a few attempts to get it flush with the sides.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I can't find the vid on youtube grrrr

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice