Erinw347’s killifish breeding project

erinw347

I decided I’m going to actually start trying to breed my clown killifish! Pictures will come tomorrow

1 male and 2 females, they are currently in a 10g with 2 male endlers, some mystery snails and some ghost shrimp. I just added a good amount of duckweed today so hopefully it will grow bigger, not just get sucked up by the HOB. I’m going to start feeding frozen brine shrimp too. Excited to see my females become gravid

SnookusFish

I'll follow this! I breed my gardneri killifish pair and its so rewarding. Fry are easy to raise and im starting soon to breed them properly to sell to my lfs. Is breeding clowns similar? Spawning mop method?

erinw347

SnookusFish said:
I'll follow this! I breed my gardneri killifish pair and its so rewarding. Fry are easy to raise and im starting soon to breed them properly to sell to my lfs. Is breeding clowns similar? Spawning mop method?
I know some use spawning mops, but I’m going to try it with floater plants first. That seems to be the most important factor in breeding them. I’m very excited

chromedome52

Clowns do much better with the surface plants. The tight weave of the roots make good places to put the eggs, and for the fry to hide. And the live plants provide a biofilm for the fry to feed on until they get some size. Personally, I hate duckweed, as it has a tendency to overpower the surface. Normal practice is to remove a lot of it, but if you have fish breeding in there...

Preferred plants are Water Sprite, Water lettuce, and Riccia. The last has some very tight spaces that the adults can't get into, nor can other fish.

Good Luck!!

erinw347

Some pics

erinw347

Hey guys! One of my females seems to be pretty plump, what do you think?

Tallen78

erinw347 said:
I decided I’m going to actually start trying to breed my clown killifish! Pictures will come tomorrow

1 male and 2 females, they are currently in a 10g with 2 male endlers, some mystery snails and some ghost shrimp. I just added a good amount of duckweed today so hopefully it will grow bigger, not just get sucked up by the HOB. I’m going to start feeding frozen brine shrimp too. Excited to see my females become gravid
I’m currently breeding blue steel killifish in a 20g long and I have a few questions I have a trio 1 male and 2 female plus about 10-12 fry in the tank I set up a 10g for the fry to go in and to clean up the adult tank I want to remove some of the growth and snails that have over populated in there but I have eggs everywhere still waiting to hatch how should I go about doing this moving of the fry and some plants to the holding tank here’s what I got top pic is the main tank and bottom is for fry

erinw347

Bringing this back.

My male killifish passed away so I ended up giving my remaining females to my dad for him to keep. However, I will have a 20 high available soon, and I want to try again and do it right. I have more salvinia then ANYONE needs, and I’m ready to try it again. It will be a couple of months probably, but I’m going to get it done. I also plan to start a cherry shrimp colony in the same tank, so it will be a double species tank.

My angelfish pair had some fry, so right now my betta is in the 20 high since the fry are in his tank Once the angelfish fry are rehomed and he can go back to living with his cory friends, the tank will be open and I will begin to stock it then. My dad still has one of my remaining killifish, so I will probably be taking her back if he’s okay with it.

erinw347

Okay, so I got 4 killis today (one from my dad and three from the store) and I have a 20g high set up for them. I added the fish in just a few minutes ago and one of the males is already trying to court.
A02E5FCC-8438-448E-974E-15ABBFBB377D.jpeg

The tank is totally full of salvinia, so that should be encouraging.

erinw347

I think we have a pair. Zelda and Link
E6719392-CAFC-4575-B16C-884EC7D98557.jpeg

C73CF312-314D-4EAA-BE27-CAA292CA663E.jpeg

The other two I got are real little and I don’t think they’re mature yet, so we’ll just have to wait for them to grow.

erinw347

I’ve seen some fungus eggs, so I’m assuming that’s a good sign because they’re trying...? I didn’t think they would want to this soon!

erinw347

Found more eggs today, fingers crossed they’re fertile.

Latest threads

Top Bottom