Erinw347’s corydoras breeding journal

ayeayeron

Sooooo I think Im going to take another shot at breeding corys! They bred without conditioning last time, and they were the first fish I’ve ever bred! I’ve started doing daily water changes just to give them really clean water, and Im going to start feeding frozen food more often too! I’ll update if anything happens.

Here is the mom:
FCBA3ED2-FC33-4989-BCC0-7239CA35EC77.jpeg
And here’s the dad:
9B615AFA-7EA3-4AF9-A858-EE2FE15DE68B.jpeg
This is the pair that bred previously, and Im going to make sure they breed again, because all other corys in the tank are their offspring and I don’t want any inbred fry.

Shrimp42

Here is the mom:
FCBA3ED2-FC33-4989-BCC0-7239CA35EC77.jpeg
And here’s the dad:
9B615AFA-7EA3-4AF9-A858-EE2FE15DE68B.jpeg
This is the pair that bred previously, and Im going to make sure they breed again, because all other corys in the tank are their offspring and I don’t want any inbred fry.
What type of cory is that? And how will the babies come out, all albino or all grayish color?

Upvote 0

Donovan Jones

Personally I'd let the water changes go longer in between and higher volume. That way it simulates rain

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

What type of cory is that? And how will the babies come out, all albino or all grayish color?
Bronze. And because albinism is recessive, the offspring will all be bronze as well.

Upvote 0

jake37

How do you know your bronze isn't 1/2 albinism ?

Bronze. And because albinism is recessive, the offspring will all be bronze as well.

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

How do you know your bronze isn't 1/2 albinism ?
They have bred previously and all babies were bronze

Upvote 0

Donovan Jones

Theoretically all the babies will have 25 percent albino offspring though

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

Sorry but that’s not correct. Since the dad has no albino gene, none of the babies can show the gene. They can CARRY the albino gene, but all offspring will be bronze.

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

Update- Corys spawned today! After a 50% water change 2 days ago, frozen bloodworm feedings, and taking the temp down to 74, they got busy this morning! Unfortunately, my angels ate all of the eggs and they won’t last long enough to harden and be able to be removed :/ also, it was NOT the pair I wanted to breed, it was two of the pairs offspring- so they are siblings, which can’t be good for the gene pool anyways. I did manage to save a single egg, but I doubt it will do much. Good news is, I caught it all on camera! I will upload it here in a few minutes. Any tips welcome.

Also sorry this is a month late, but I just realized you said the BABIES will have albino offspring, which is indeed true. I’m not sure if I want to breed them though, cuz again, inbreeding can’t be great for the gene pool.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Update- Corys spawned today! After a 50% water change 2 days ago, frozen bloodworm feedings, and taking the temp down to 74, they got busy this morning! Unfortunately, my angels ate all of the eggs and they won’t last long enough to harden and be able to be removed :/ also, it was NOT the pair I wanted to breed, it was two of the pairs offspring- so they are siblings, which can’t be good for the gene pool anyways. I did manage to save a single egg, but I doubt it will do much. Good news is, I caught it all on camera! I will upload it here in a few minutes. Any tips welcome.
Dang. That's a shame.

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

A video!

Upvote 0

Donovan Jones

It should be fine, fish are resilient to inbreeding. Just watch for defects

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

I moved my cories to my 29g last night, they seem to be quite active this morning. I will feed frozen foods to see what happens. This time there won’t be angels to destroy the eggs

Upvote 0

jake37

Yes but consider the harm you are doing to the poor angels. Depriving them of all those tasty eggs. Shame Shame Shame.

I moved my cories to my 29g last night, they seem to be quite active this morning. I will feed frozen foods to see what happens. This time there won’t be angels to destroy the eggs

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

Yes but consider the harm you are doing to the poor angels. Depriving them of all those tasty eggs. Shame Shame Shame.
Those fat pigs have plenty to eat. They’re already full of snail antennas!

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

Cories spawned again today!! However, once again, it was the siblings. Should I save the eggs? I don’t want to sell people weak fry.

Upvote 0

Unknown9182

Save them. I’m pretty sure they would appreciate it.

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

Here’s the simple hatching tank I’ve set up. It’s a 10g with a heater and a sponge filter I stole from my bettas tank.
3C49A8CB-1C3E-4E38-8B3D-E8EC5B01DB70.jpeg
40594F40-43B5-4613-8E5D-2247C83DDF0A.jpeg
I just added a bunch of leaf litter as well as alder cones.

Unfortunately pretty much all of the eggs are looking white. I’m not sure if I just haven’t waited long enough, or perhaps the male is infertile? Not quite sure. I will likely be doing a water change on that tank tonight though so hormones don’t build up too much, so they may be encouraged to breed again tomorrow. I mean seriously, I JUST moved them to a new tank like two days ago, so clearly they’re in the mood.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Here’s the simple hatching tank I’ve set up. It’s a 10g with a heater and a sponge filter I stole from my bettas tank.
3C49A8CB-1C3E-4E38-8B3D-E8EC5B01DB70.jpeg
40594F40-43B5-4613-8E5D-2247C83DDF0A.jpeg
I just added a bunch of leaf litter as well as alder cones.

Unfortunately pretty much all of the eggs are looking white. I’m not sure if I just haven’t waited long enough, or perhaps the male is infertile? Not quite sure. I will likely be doing a water change on that tank tonight though so hormones don’t build up too much, so they may be encouraged to breed again tomorrow. I mean seriously, I JUST moved them to a new tank like two days ago, so clearly they’re in the mood.
What do you give to the eggs to prevent fungus? H2O2?

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

Ok. Would rooibos tea work for that?
I have no idea. I suppose if all of the ingredients were safe? I use oak leaves from outside and boil them. Works great

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

I have no idea. I suppose if all of the ingredients were safe? I use oak leaves from outside and boil them. Works great
Ok. I'll go get some of those then.

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

A video from this morning

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

She did it!! The mom and the dad that I want are spawning right now!! Babies!!!

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

Bad news: most of the eggs fungused over
Good news: not all of them did! I have some cory babies! I’m not sure how long ago they hatched, but it’s been about a week since the eggs were laid so I’m going to give them their first feeding today.

Upvote 0

jake37

Time for the milk bottle and diapers.

Bad news: most of the eggs fungused over
Good news: not all of them did! I have some cory babies! I’m not sure how long ago they hatched, but it’s been about a week since the eggs were laid so I’m going to give them their first feeding today.

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

Anyone know what cory fry swimming at the surface means?

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

One of the small fry seems to have a spinal deformity. Not sure if I should cull? Or is it worth raising him?
Edit: here’s a pic. Marked the spot that looks weird to me. He’s for certain still alive, but he doesn’t move all that much.

Attachments

• B07DCC8C-0AC5-4EE3-9313-FA5611D3EBBA.jpeg
    B07DCC8C-0AC5-4EE3-9313-FA5611D3EBBA.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

One of the small fry seems to have a spinal deformity. Not sure if I should cull? Or is it worth raising him?
Edit: here’s a pic. Marked the spot that looks weird to me. He’s for certain still alive, but he doesn’t move all that much.
I would raise him up a bit more and if it doesn't get better then cull him.

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

Last batch didn’t make it after vacation unfortunately. But corys are spawning almost WEEKLY... clearly they’re doing okay I have eggs waiting to hatch right now, probably tonight. I’m planning to buy 2 or 3 more corys to add new bloodline in and try to prevent anymore inbreeding.
Edit: Most eggs are fungus, but I saw 1 tiny fry! He has a very obvious yolk sac so he probably hatched today <3 He was hiding under the sponge filter!

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

I did a big cleaning on the fry tank today! Took out all the fungus eggs, did probably a 50% water change, and I counted a total of 13 fry in doing so Not much, but with some special care I think I can raise a few! I also fed first bites today, and will probably start a brine shrimp culture.

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

Last batch didn’t make it either I seem to have a really low amount of fry hatching... perhaps I’m not transferring the eggs properly?

I think I’m going to use this as my breeding journal for everything! (if the mods are ok with that of course) I have angel eggs waiting to hatch too right now and my corys are always getting busy so I figured I could raise them together

Upvote 0

Donovan Jones

What's the setup for the babies?

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

What's the setup for the babies?
Bare 10g. Will probably get some leaf litter later.

Attachments

• 806EB749-9955-41AA-AD52-1B884CEB60BC.jpeg
    806EB749-9955-41AA-AD52-1B884CEB60BC.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 0

Donovan Jones

I think a big clump of moss, some microcritters like copepods and lowering the temp a bit will drastically improve your survival rates. I raised some paleatus fry in a very dirty 10 gallon. I think it had something to do with the bugs in the mulm. I put in 30 eggs and pulled out 20 fry.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Also sorry this is a month late, but I just realized you said the BABIES will have albino offspring, which is indeed true. I’m not sure if I want to breed them though, cuz again, inbreeding can’t be great for the gene pool.
In fact albinos do have a extremely small genepool themselves (they are the result of intensive in- and linebreeding).

So by the "cross" with a bronze parent "fresh blood" is brought into them.

Inbreeding won't cause that issues in this stage.

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

Angel wrigglers today!!

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

Wiggles are 4 days old. They are starting to lift their tails off the bottom so there may be some free swimmers tomorrow!
wiggles

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

Free swimmers on Christmas day. Feeding first bites and BBS. Corys havent spawned in awhile, probably because it’s 78. I will do a big water change with cold water... hopefully that will help

Upvote 0

Hugooo

Free swimmers on Christmas day. Feeding first bites and BBS. Corys havent spawned in awhile, probably because it’s 78. I will do a big water change with cold water... hopefully that will help
Very cool, and Merry Christmas! On an unrelated note .... you changed your avatar! Almost didn't recognize you there

Upvote 0

jake37

He turned into another run of the mill betta. We should ban all things related to betta from fishlore.

Very cool, and Merry Christmas! On an unrelated note .... you changed your avatar! Almost didn't recognize you there

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

He turned into another run of the mill betta. We should ban all things related to betta from fishlore.
Hey! There’s a cory in there too!
edit: is that one better

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

They’re back at it again :rolleyes:
A470044A-7BF9-4837-9ED3-AB48E47086EF.jpeg
I guess I’ll have to raise them with my angelfish... how that’s gonna work I’m not sure! I guess I’ll lower the temp to 78?

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

image.jpg
Angel fry are saying hi to their brothers from another mother.

Upvote 0

jake37

Do you ship 4 week old sterbai ?

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

Babies corys today! Their big baby cousins aren’t bugging them The angels have actually been helpful enough to get the fungus eggs!

6E0FC025-5ABB-496A-A73E-0F42009787A6.jpeg

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

I don’t think many eggs hatched. I’ve seen about 4 fry at one time. I’m still seeing them everyday though.

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

It’s been awhile.

Spawns were never really working out, so I stopped collecting the eggs all together. However, I got a wonderful surprise today.
Somehow one of the fry from one of the many spawns in the last month or so survived!! I’m not really sure how old he is, but based on my old pictures I’m going to guess somewhere around 3 weeks. You can see a clip of him at the end of this video: https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeR8TfRF/

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ckline
  • Question
Replies
Views
ayeayeron
  • Question
Replies
Views