Erattically swimming tetras?

Discussion in 'Neon Tetra' started by Andrea Simone, Mar 18, 2010.

1. A

Andrea Simone New Member Member

I've had my 20gal tank set up with fish for about a week now. All I have currently is 10 neons. Well I woke up this morning and it almost looked as if they were fighting? They were swimmming around chasing eachother, and when they're not doing that they're swimming up and down the aquarium walls. I have no idea what's going on inside my tank. I did a water change while siphoning yesterday, and tested the water. Ammonia 0 nitrite .25 and nitrate 0. Help?

2. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

They are ok...just nipping at each other. No harm is done, it's all in the game of love and who's in charge!!!

They will run up and down the walls at first til they are customed to your tank. Many "new" fish do that.

They do enjoy plants (plastic or real) to have a place to play around...don't worry as long as your parameters are good.

Your nitrite should be 0, nitrate have a reading not to exceed 40. Hope you got confused when typing.

How did you CYCLE in a week????? Please keep an eye on the water parameters!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. OP
    OP
    A

Ahh thank you. I was getting worried. Haha I mean I have had the neons in it for a week. I have had it set up for longer than that. I thought I was done cycling, but I guess not. About how long does it take to build up the second type of bacteria? And would it be ok to add about three guppies today?

I'm kinda new to this. But I have done my research.

4. TedsTank

Oh yes and I'm sorry...WELCOME TO FISHLORE!!!!

I would not add anymore fish until you are sure you're cycled. How long all that takes is very variable, depending on tank set, water, temp etc. Just try to hold off until you know for sure. Ain't it awful...wanting eveything in there now!!...lol...I remember doing it!!! Now I'm much more cautious, and rarely lose a fish.

5. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi, Andrea. welcome to fl.

I agree that you should not add the guppies yet. Cycling a tank can take several weeks. At this point, since you have a small amount of nitrites, you are not yet cycled. My advice would be to do small partial water changes every day with Prime water conditioner. The Prime will detoxify the nitrites and any ammonia for 24 hours, until your next daily water change.

Add the guppies only after your tank is cycled, and you see 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-20 nitrates. Personally, I would wait for 2 weeks after those readings, just to give the beneficial bacteria a change to colonize strongly.

Good luck.

6. OP
    OP
    A

YESS!!! I want to go and buy every colorful fish I see! And it doesn't help that I'm not a patient person at all. I plan to get three guppies an oto and a blue gourami to finish my tank. In what order should I add these little guys? Oh, and are pellets or wafers better for bottom dwellers? (that is when I'm not going to be cooking up veggies) Sorry, I have a ton of questions haha.

7. TedsTank

Pettets and wafer!!! Variety makes a healthy fish!!!

8. Meenu

Otos are schooling fish, and extremely sensitive to water conditions. They should only be added to a mature tank, at least several months old.

You can do the guppies next. Personally, I would not add the otos at all...
    The gourami, as the most aggressive, should be last - that way, he is less likely to treat newly-added fish as invading "his" tank/territory.

9. OP
    OP
    A

When I was cycling my aquarium I called the local fish store and had them order me one. I realized they were nearly impossible to keep a couple weeks later. I'm kind of stuck now, as it comes in tomorow. (slaps forehead). I think the little guy is adorable, but I don't want it to die either. As you can tell I'm still learning ALOT about fish-keeping.

Oh and thank you guys soo much for all of your input! My tetras calmed down today and seem to be fine now. :)

10. Meenu

that's great about the tetras.

Is it an oto you ordered? I suggest that you read as much as you can about them, on caresheets on FL and other sites. The better you are able to feed him, and the cleaner your water is, the better chance he has. If he makes it, I urge you to reconsider your final stocklist. Maybe skip the guppies and get more otos? Or skip the gourami and get more otos?

Also, before you make your final decision on the blue gourami, please read up on dwarf gourami disease. I don't know if blues can get it, but you definitely want to know about it before you buy one.

11. OP
    OP
    A

Yeah I read a couple of threads about otos last night and I'll probably read a couple more before I pick him up today. Do they move around in groups like tetras, or do they just feel more secure knowing others like themselves are around?

I definetly will study up on the gourami. I was taken by suprise when I learned about neon tetra disease. I thought there was a specialized disease for every fish!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  12. OP
    OP
    A

Thank goodness! I went to the fish store today to pick him up. They're a bit unorganized and forgot to order the little guy! I'm so relieved!

13. Meenu

That's actually great news. Now you have time to really get your tank running before you add stuff.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice