Equipment

1. Marco Rodriguez

Marco Rodriguez Well Known Member Member

Just wondering where everyone buys their equipment. Was hoping someone has Some super good cheap source. Ik this is probably a long shot

2. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

What kind of equipment? There are all sorts of sources for various stuff used in a tank.

For example, although I typically want to look at my plants before I buy, I've learned to trust some online sources because locally, there really isn't much variety or size of plants for different purposes.

Overall, it's not a cheap hobby, but buying groups of used items together can help defray some of the costs, since the fish hobby is also one of those where, once someone gives up or if they have to move and can't take somethings with them, they will let go of their equipment and setups for pretty cheap comparatively.

3. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Oiii.
    Here I am again, in all my $3 heater glory. :eek:

Ebay. But you either have to be patient for 2-ish weeks for shipping from Hong Kong, or pay a few more bucks for their USA warehose.

$0.33 to $1.00 - Sponge filters, decor, bio balls, tubing, thermometers, siphons etc.
    $2.00 to $4.00 - air pumps, water pumps, electric filters, heaters, usb LEDs, valves etc.
    $5.00+ - magnetic glass cleaners, backgrounds, USB growlights

There are cansiter filters for $40. Everything listed is brand new.

...you get what you pay for, so buy at your own risk. $3 heater is about as safe as a $3 heater sounds.

4. rsumner

rsumner Valued Member Member

I have Amazon Prime, so I'll crawl for hours for the best deals there and use the free shipping to offset the competition. My local fish stores in Austin have discount club programs that cut 10 to 20% off prices.

5. OP
    OP
    Marco Rodriguez

Marco Rodriguez Well Known Member Member

Not looking for anything specific. Thanks for the advice

Awesome thanks

Hahha thank you

6. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

Amazon. I can get the same heater online for $10, that costed $20 at a petco or an lfs. Also, the 1 day shipping on moderate sized orders is extremely convenient.

7. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

I definitely recommend filters and API master kit from Amazon for their prices, but unfortunately it's not something we'll buy often.

I get some free decorations, including fake plants, from free sites like Craigslist or Freecycle. The original retail price is not anything to sneeze at but the demand to buy it used just isn't there, so small to medium decorations usually can be free if you're patient. Same for small tanks and the equipment that goes with them.

DIY filter media, I end up buying some from dollar stores or else, using the substitute items which are not sold in the fish store, but from other stores for cheaper, but still work the same.

So far I don't know any place for fish medicines, though, so I just shop and compare at the time I need them.

8. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

From what I gather sometimes it hit or miss with ebay. (careful on the quality) I normally use Amazon Prime overall good pricing, also Drs.Foster&Smith (sometimes a little pricey). And of course I visit the LFS near me they need are support or there will be no LFS. Caution on buying used equipment. I've heard of some folks getting some good deals and some not.

9. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

The #1 hit and miss thing with me is eBay thermometers. Very fragile, put them in and don't move them. Plasitc plant quality is... Imagine lowest quality you can. It's worse than that.

Pumps are alright, and so are my controversial heaters, though all the safety info like "don't operate out of water" should be taken 1000x more seriously.

Test your Criagslist tanks for water and inspect silicone. Personally I don't make large aq purchases there.

If you're about to buy a dirt cheap Chinese thing on Amazon, check eBay first - chances are the same brand will be cheaper.
    Same with Tetra products, for some reason.

LFS usually has the bestesteat deals on food. Not so much equipment.