10 Gallon Tank Equipment Suggestions, heater/filter..

lunanightlock

I'm setting up a 10 gallon community tank and I'm wanting to get suggestions on equipment I'm gonna use. I don't have any options I've picked out yet cause I don't know what to do really. Should I do two small heaters or one heater suggested for the tank size? The temperature range needed in my tank is 77-80 degrees Fahrenheit. But I'm scared of all these horror stories of heaters busting and either not working or working too much to the point that fish get burned or boiled. I'm probably overthinking but I just wanna be a good fish parent and do what's best for my fish.

BigManAquatics

I have the regular Aqueon heater, 50 watt adjustable heater in all my 10s. Keeps them at 80 degrees real nice.

Upvote 0

lunanightlock

Also what thermometer should I use, right now I'm looking at two, both made by inkbird.

Upvote 0

faywayway

Hi! I have two 10 gallon tanks and for both of them I use the Top Fin 50 watt compact heater, and only one for each tank. They heat them up perfectly and are preset to 78ºF. I've had mine for almost a year now and no problems. The red and green light tells you whether it's heating or not. I seriously recommend them and you can pick one up for a pretty cheap price (compared to lots of other heaters) at your local PetSmart!

Upvote 0

lunanightlock

I'd prefer to not have a preset heater because I'd like to be able to change the temperature if my fish aren't comfortable in a certain temperature.

Upvote 0

faywayway

I'd prefer to not have a preset heater because I'd like to be able to change the temperature if my fish aren't comfortable in a certain temperature.
Oh yeah that makes sense. I just personally prefer preset because I've heard of some adjustable ones heating more or less than the set temp. Or maybe I've just read too many horror stories too lol
With thermometers, you can't really go wrong with any, except the stick on/strip ones because they've always sucked in my experience. I really like any that have a box or certain color around the 75º-80ºF safe zone for tropical tanks. I've never used a digital one but if you're interested I'm sure you could get a cheaper one that works just as well

Upvote 0

lunanightlock

I'm going to be starting a planted tank in July or August, I'm going to be putting two sponge filters into my tank (one incase I need to take it out for a hospital tank) and I was wondering of that'll be enough, especially because one might be taken out sometime. This tank is going to be in my bedroom so I need the extra filter to be quite. I don't know if it's needed but the water parameter of the tank are going to be between the ranges of: 77-80 degrees Fahrenheit, 6-7.8 PH, and a hardness between 5 and 15 dgH. Also the fish going into the tank are 3 enlders, 2 sparkling gouramis, and 2 peacock gudgeons.

I like the inkbird thermometers because they have an alarm you can set for when the tank gets too hot or too cold, I'm a little bit paranoid from horror stories. I may just be overthinking too much.

Upvote 0

GlennO

Yes you can filter a 10 gal with even one moderately sized sponge filter. They are not the quietest type of filter for a bedroom though, with the air pump and bubble noises.

Upvote 0

faywayway

I like the inkbird thermometers because they have an alarm you can set for when the tank gets too hot or too cold, I'm a little bit paranoid from horror stories. I may just be overthinking too much.
Wow that's actually really interesting, I didn't know there were ones that could do that. If you're worried (which is understandable lol) that's a really good idea. If you're able to you could get a back up heater too just in case anything goes wrong with the first one.

Upvote 0

Orion0220

Id say any adjustable thermometer for that small size tank, to be honest, I have an Aqueon in my 40 breeder and its been working beautifully, I recently got myself an eheim jager trutemp for my 55 gallon because I've heard lots about them being super reliable long term, but they're a bit more expensive. And as for the horror stories, I'm no expert yet but I do tons, pretty much all hours I'm awake. and As long as you don't get a 250 watt heater for a 10 gallon, or a 50 watt heater for a 55 gallon, you'll probably be fine. I've had no problems with over or under heating aside from preset heaters not being where I want them. I also just use the digital thermometer, I was a little paranoid at first but now its more of a habit that I check if the temp is right every time I pass my tanks. Still no problems in about a year. (probably just jinxed myself lol)

Upvote 0

lunanightlock

Yeah, better knock on wood lol, but thanks for the suggestion, I might do that (eheim heater or another reliable one) and just maybe get a normal digital one or one with only one alarm. I was going to keep an extra heater on hand because I want to avoid it breaking at an inconvenient time. Also knock on wood.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I like the fact you're planning on keeping 2 for if/when you need a hospital/quarantine tank. Thinking ahead!

Upvote 0

lunanightlock

The aquarium will have a lid (quite a few of the fish I'm getting are jumpers) which should help with sound reduction and if I have another filter I could get a less powerful airstone or turn the airstone's power down, which would also reduce noise. Which other filter would you suggest? I need low flow because some fish aren' the best swimmers and it is a planted tank.

Upvote 0

GlennO

Other options would be a small internal power filter or a mini HOB but the latter option would rule out a tight fitting lid.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

10 gallons

That's a bit too small for the live stock you want to keep. 3 endlers +1 gourami would probably be the most you can fit in there...assuming it is a low maintenance planted tank

Upvote 0

lunanightlock

That's a bit too small for the live stock you want to keep. 3 endlers +1 gourami would probably be the most you can fit in there...assuming it is a low maintenance planted tank
What maintenance schedule would be a low maintenance planted tank and what would be a high?

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

What maintenance schedule would be a low maintenance planted tank and what would be a high?

Low maintenance would be very little water changes, mostly water top-offs. High maintenance means weekly water changes, possibly more if your parameters worsen faster than that. You are basically trying to balance an ecosystem in a very small volume of water which means less buffer for mistakes. It's possible of course, but just not something I would recommend.

Upvote 0

lunanightlock

From what I've researched about 20% weekly water changes for tanks that aren't lightly stocked is kinda normal, even if it isn't it should be about 10%.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

From what I've researched about 20% weekly water changes for planted tanks in kinda normal.

There's no normal, because the bioload can be whatever you want. If you add more fish then that's more bioload which means more water changes

Upvote 0

lunanightlock

I'm ok with a 20% weekly water change because that's what I was expecting coming into this hobby.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

I'm ok with a 20% weekly water change because that's what I was expecting coming into this hobby.

Then I suggest you stock lightly first, and then you are always free to add more if things are going well. It's a lot better than the other way around where you add too much and have the fish die...

Upvote 0

lunanightlock

Ok so what should I add? The Sparkling gouramis and the peacock gudgeons are social and they're the ones I really wanted.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

Ok so what should I add? The Sparkling gouramis and the peacock gudgeons are social and they're the ones I really wanted.

Maybe just the peacock gudgeons first. See how they do and what your water parameters are like. Notably, what your ammonia, nitrite, nitrates are like after a few weeks of consistent feeding. Based on those results, then you can consider adding the gouramis.

Upvote 0

lunanightlock

Ok, thank you. How long should I wait to make sure it's ok? Like a week or 2 after the cycle has caught up?

Upvote 0

Knightdrake1066

I'm setting up a 10 gallon community tank and I'm wanting to get suggestions on equipment I'm gonna use. I don't have any options I've picked out yet cause I don't know what to do really. Should I do two small heaters or one heater suggested for the tank size? The temperature range needed in my tank is 77-80 degrees Fahrenheit. But I'm scared of all these horror stories of heaters busting and either not working or working too much to the point that fish get burned or boiled. I'm probably overthinking but I just wanna be a good fish parent and do what's best for my fish.
I am right there with you. Ive spent literally days trying to do research and I get lots of conflicting information.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

Ok, thank you. How long should I wait to make sure it's ok? Like a week or 2 after the cycle has caught up?

Do you have ammonia, nitrite and nitrates tests? Once the tank is cycled you can add them. Not sure about the specific history of your tank, have you been adding a consistent source of ammonia/fish food to keep the cycle going?

Upvote 0

lunanightlock

I haven't started my tank yet but I am picking up the appropriate tests tomorrow

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Dan12boy
  • Heater
Replies
Views
IDKwhattodo
  • Question
  • Cambrianexplosion24
  • Heater
Replies