Equipment Poll!!!! You decide 4 me!!! 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by A_Strad, Mar 21, 2010.

1. A

A_Strad New Member Member

Alright everyone, I just recently set up my fifty-five gallon tank from a few years ago when I took a break due to a move. I'm thinking some of my equipment may be a little outdated compared to todays technology. So I'm looking into repacing everything but the glass LoL, and I'm letting you guys decide what I get. Price doesn't "exactly" matter but I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars on equipment. Whatever you guys think will benefit me the most, and what you think is best for the money. I'm looking for a new filter, 1-2 heaters, and possibly 2 canopies... LETS SEE WHAT YA GOT FOR ME...

2. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I LOVE canister filters now (even though I killed mine before I could even really get it working). I have/had a Cascade 1000 filter (made by Penn-Plax) and it has recieved some pretty good reviews.

As far as heaters, I like the Marineland Stealth heaters. I have a 200W one in my 55gal and it does a great job.

Canopies I can't help you with because my 55gal is kind of jury rigged right now with two lower wattage T-8 fixtures (a 48" 40W and a 36" 60W) until I can save up to get a nice T-5 fixture because I run live plants in my tank.

3. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I run AquaClear 110 and 70 on my 55g. The plan was to remove the 70 after the 110 was seeded but I just decided to leave it on. They are great filters. You can put what media you want. I don't run activated carbon just extra sponge or biomax.

As for heater I use the Marineland Stealth Shatter Proof Heater 200w also. Works great.

As for canopy can't help you there. lol

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning A_Strad and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I'm a big fan of the Aqua Clear filters too. Very quiet and they do a great job. Several different sizes to choose from according to your tank size.

I use the Marineland Stealth PRO heaters. These have indicator lights that glow red when the heater is actually heating and the light glows green when the preset temperature has been reached or surpassed. Very accurate within 1 degree.

I like glass hoods.

I hope you enjoy the site.
    Ken

5. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

6. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Aqueons and Aquaclears are great filters if you want a hang on back type. If you'd rather have a canister, I'd suggest Rena XP or Fluval. Both are great for the money. Eheim is pricey but top of the line. I have a Cascade 1000 and wouldn't recommend it. It was given to me new in the box by a friend and I used it for a couple of years. Compared to Rena or Fluval canisters, it's difficult to prime and LOUD for a canister. For heaters, I like Ebo Jager or Stealth. Rena Smart Heaters are great too, and if you have a Rena canister filter you can use the heater as the intake for the canister- less clutter in your display. Glass hoods look a lot nicer than the plastic ones IMO.

7. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

I'm a fan of Aqua Clear hob and Eheim canisters never a bad buy with either or both

8. ccb04

ccb04 Well Known Member Member

I'll echo much of what harpua2002 said.

For HOB filters I like Aqueon and AquaClear. As bolivianbaby mentioned regarding the Aqueon models ... they are self-priming and provide very good aeration and filtration. The AquaClears offer excellent media versatility.

Don't have a lot of experience with canisters ... but I'd likely go with a Rena XP if looking for one.

As far as heaters ... some I have/would use: Marineland Stealth, Rena Smart Heater, ViaAqua stainless (freshwater only) or titanium, or Ebo Jager.

9. h

humantestkit New Member Member

We have 2 Marineland Stealth heaters (+/- 1 degree accuracy) and 2 Ebo Jager heaters (+/-0.5 degree accuracy). Both kinds work well. Ebo is glass and could be more fragile I suppose. They each have a light indicator when they turn on, which I like to see every now and then.

Using an AquaClear 50 and an Rena XP2. AquaClears are very easy to maintain but require priming after maintenance which is easy to do. The XP2 canister is also very easy to maintain, does not require priming BUT can leak if the incoming and outgoing hose has any kind of stress/weight on them that is off axis to the port. If the hose bends over to the side this produces a "twist" and the o-ring can leak. I solved this issue by hanging the hoses from the ceiling of my cabinet ... kind of a strain relief. The XP2 filter is dead silent, you really have to get real close to it to hear it. I love the large canister and the freedom to place any type of media into it as I see fit. It holds 1.7 gallons of water too. I run 4 types of pads, a resin in a pouch and bio-chem stars and there is more room for additional media.

I also use LED moon lights in the 460 nm range. I highly recommend LED moon lights of some sort since they are EXTREMELY cool and it makes night time viewing a spectacular event. Fish colors and eye colors really change under 460 nm light too. NOTE: this is not UV light but blue light and low intensity. Like a blue moon.

I would venture to say most new equipement works pretty well. You'll spend more time on your substrate and aquascape than equipement. We use light/dark blue gravel in 1 aquarium and it is spectacular under moon lights at night. Also use Sahara sand in another aquarium. Used Flourite under gravel in 1 aquarium and removed it. Probably good for heavily planted aquariums but not my priority now. We do use it under specific plants still in another aquarium.

10. JustinF

JustinF Valued Member Member

Love fluval personally, I have 204 model for 20 gallon & would love to get an FX5 for a 55 gallon.

11. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I love the Rena XPs, but the fluvals are nice too. I would go with an XP3.

12. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I love canisters. They're easy to maintain being outside the aquarium, increase your water volume, silent and easily customised.

I have used a Fluval, and loved the versatility of the media basket arrangement, but disliked the hoses and the size of the 'clips' that attach to the aquarium.

I currently use an Eheim Classic - love the small hoses in the aquarium, very easy to hide and hang very nicely. Super quiet. The valve/tap systems are annoying, but easy to use. The media arrangement is good, but harder to customise (mainly due to the large bio media takeup in the canister). One great aspect is every bit of water that goes through the canister is filtered (bottom up filtering).

I would have no problem recommending either though.

Canisters can potentially provide too much of a current for some fish though, and a HOB may work better. That said, if the canister has a spray bar, you can soften the current by drilling the holes out a little larger.

Heaters - I use an Eheim - pros = can be calibrated, very accurate and reliable. Cons = Very long and need a lot of room.

I have used Hydor Theos - pros = very accurate, great reliability, very small, can be mounted in any orientation, i.e. horizontally (except upside down)... cons = can't really think of any, except maybe price ;)

Lights - T5 High Output are a definite great investment if you're having plants or have a large tank to light up, otherwise compact flourescent are great. the GLO brand do some great setups.

13. upgrade

upgrade Valued Member Member

I also like aqueon filters, i actually bought 5 of them from pets smart when they were on clearance for only $5 each(30 gallon filters)! they work great and if your store still has them their cheep! this was only a week ago

14. JustinF

JustinF Valued Member Member

ryanr - Canisters can potentially provide too much of a current for some fish though, and a HOB may work better. That said, if the canister has a spray bar, you can soften the current by drilling the holes out a little larger.

Hi, I'm curious I've never heard that some fish don't like a current could you tell me which ones or a way to find out?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice