Equipment operation cost

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by skjl47, Dec 1, 2012.

1. s

skjl47 Valued Member Member

Hello; A few weeks ago I took part in a thread discussing the cost to operate equipment. I have a small meter and decided to test the cost of some of my equipment. I set the meter up and plugged into it an Aqua-Tech 30-60 HOB power filter.
    The measure started at 2:30 PM on November 8, 2012. I checked it today(12-1-2012) at 9:41 PM. If my count is correct that is 23 days. The power filter used 3.87 kWh in that time. It drew a steady 0.17 amps if I read the meter correctly. At 12 cents per kWh it calculated a cost of 46 cents. I have not run the numbers to check the meter, but if this is correct it cost two cents per day to operate this particular filter.
    I will reset the meter and test a different piece of equipment.

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Thanks for the feedback.

Do you know the wattage rating for the filter? If so, it's an easy calculation

(wattage rate) / 1000 gives kWH
    Multiply result from above by 24 gives daily kWH used
    Multiply by your electricity cost ($ per KWH) gives your daily cost.

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Heaters and lights are going to be the largest energy draw.

4. klutz10154

klutz10154 Valued Member Member

I'd like to know about the lights and heaters as well! thanks!

5. ryanr

Lights are easy.

It's the same calculation for all electrical devices.

Lights, instead of multiplying by 24, you multiply by the hours you have them on.

Heaters, I assume mine are on for 8 hours a day (about 30% of the time)

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Electricity cost calculator above.

Ken

7. OP
    OP
    s

skjl47 Valued Member Member

Hello; I checked the meter just now. It is giving a reading of 6 for what the meter terms active watts.
    The spot readings this morning were- W (active watts) = 6 while varying between 5 and 7 but most often on 6.
    VA (apparent power) = 16 There is no explanation for this unit in the instructions.
    V (voltage) = 120
    Hz (hertz) = 59.96
    PF (power factor) = 0.31 to 0.40 There is no explanation for this unit in the instructions.
    Tariff (cost of electricity per kilowatt hour) = 12 cents. This is set based on an average from my bill.

8. ryanr

9. klutz10154

klutz10154 Valued Member Member

Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice