Equipment needed for a Pond?

The_fishy

I’m looking into potentially further digging out a fountain area to make a pond. What sort of equipment do you recommend for a setup that is easy to care for? What are some things to avoid? How much space would koi need?

Some info about my area:

I live in a forest with deciduous trees, so there are lots of leaves in the fall. Potential predators would include hawks, bobcats, bears, raccoons, and opossums. Possibly cougars, but they tend to stay away from houses. In the summer it can get up to 110F and in the winter drop into the negatives (but those are extremes; summer is usually 80’s-90’s and winter around 15F/20F). Where the pond would potentially go, there is sun for a little less than half the day. Because of the temp extremes, I am thinking of digging deep, but this may be difficult with our super rocky soil. Our water supply is hard well water, but there is a pool nearby.

Jdk246

Dont know anything about building ponds in temperate regions as i live in a tropical city. Wouldnt worry too much on the predators as long as the pond is not too shallow and there are hiding places for the fish. Good luck though.

Upvote 0

The_fishy

Dont know anything about building ponds in temperate regions as i live in a tropical city. Wouldnt worry too much on the predators as long as the pond is not too shallow and there are hiding places for the fish. Good luck though.
Thanks for the input!

Upvote 0

Wrench

Koi apparently need a massive amount of room, I wouldnt di anything less than 1,000 gallons if you plan on keeping more than one.

Upvote 0

MomeWrath

I’m looking into potentially further digging out a fountain area to make a pond. What sort of equipment do you recommend for a setup that is easy to care for? What are some things to avoid? How much space would koi need?

Some info about my area:

I live in a forest with deciduous trees, so there are lots of leaves in the fall. Potential predators would include hawks, bobcats, bears, raccoons, and opossums. Possibly cougars, but they tend to stay away from houses. In the summer it can get up to 110F and in the winter drop into the negatives (but those are extremes; summer is usually 80’s-90’s and winter around 15F/20F). Where the pond would potentially go, there is sun for a little less than half the day. Because of the temp extremes, I am thinking of digging deep, but this may be difficult with our super rocky soil. Our water supply is hard well water, but there is a pool nearby.
I think koi need a lot of room as adults..a couple hundred gallons per fish if I recall correctly. How big are you talking about going?
Also, bears and raccoons will go fishing in your pond. Also herons, if they live in your area, are a real threat to pond fish. In order to winter over anything in your pond it would need to have an area on the bottom that is below the frost line.

Upvote 0

The_fishy

I think koi need a lot of room as adults..a couple hundred gallons per fish if I recall correctly. How big are you talking about going?
Also, bears and raccoons will go fishing in your pond. Also herons, if they live in your area, are a real threat to pond fish. In order to winter over anything in your pond it would need to have an area on the bottom that is below the frost line.
Size wouldn’t be so much of an issue, I’m mainly worried about temperatures, predators, and the do’s and don’ts. I have fish experience, but zero pond experience.

Upvote 0

Wrench

Size wouldn’t be so much of an issue, I’m mainly worried about temperatures, predators, and the do’s and don’ts. I have fish experience, but zero pond experience.
I have zero pond experiance as well. But did put a 135 gallon outdoors, I'm also tropical weather so it is easier for me to get away with it as far as temp. swings and I do not have a predator threat.
I have read ALOT on ponds though to try and impliment wah I can for me, for you I would suggest you build it deep...I mean like a good 6 or 8 feet deep...deeper water means warmer water and also hiding from predators.

Upvote 0

MomeWrath

I have several tanks inside plus my little deck pond. The pond is much easier. Nature takes care of itself, and IMO the thing is not to try to fight nature. Lots of plants (not good with koi) and a little vigilance to protect it from extremes as a semi-closed system, and there's not a lot to it. The sun is a wonderful engine. Algae is your friend. Snails are your friends. I don't have koi experience, but whenever I tested my pond it was always 0-0-0. The thing to remember is a pond is not just an outdoor aquarium, but it also isn't as complicated

Upvote 0

Danny002

I’m kinda late here, but here’s my input: If you want koi, you’re going to need it to be a few thousand gallons. I believe the common koi gets about 1.5 feet so I would allow at least 500 gallons for each. In terms of predators, I would get a big trash can lid type thing (you could also make your own out of some plastic or sheet metal) and bury a chain in the ground with some concrete poured on the end and pack the dirt above it real tight. Leave a couple links out of the ground, and padlock the lid to the chain. That SHOULD be really hard to pull out (make the concrete wide and as heavy as possible). If you make the pond very hard to get into predators will likely look elsewhere. Drill some 1-2 inch holes in the lid for gas exchange. For birds in the daytime, you could make a cage with some chicken wire and pvc and just set it over the pond when you’re not out there feeding/ enjoying the fish. Also, digging the pond about 4 feet deep will help fish hide from land predators/ give the fish a more preferable temperature when the ones outside get extreme. If you dig deeper than 4 feet, I’d advise you to reinforce the sides to prevent cave-ins (not a generally big concern but when the hole gets deep I think it’s just better to be safe).

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TrainerRuby
Replies
Views
aidanfish2002
Replies
Views
Al913

Random Great Thread!