Equipment for 60 gal

zpecialt

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
With down to 4 days until the big move to my new home, I found a 60 gallon Topfin aquarium and stand for $329.00. Firstly, before I even delve into what everyone's recommendations are for filters and other equipment, I was curious if anyone has experience with Topfin products?

sgould

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have not heard of Topfin. Just doing some searches using the name, I found a couple of reviews on various products of theirs that are not very flattering.

Luniyn

Well Known
Reaction score
Although I haven't heard many good things about Topfin products (I think they are a certain stores house brand or something along those lines), when it comes to tanks and stands there isn't much too them other then can they hold water and hold up the tank. Does this package come with a hood or lighting setup or is it just the tank and stand? If it doesn't have a hood, check the top of the tank to see if it has a good lip to hold the hood. Also get the dimensions of the tank to make sure it's a stock size so you have options in what type of hood you buy rather then being stuck with having to find an odd sized hood. Other then that, if you like the look and the price is right then there isn't much more to consider. Just be sure it's only the tank and stand as I haven't heard anything good about their filters, heaters, etc.

Bonochick

Well Known
Reaction score
The only Top Fin product I have is a heater that I bought for a hospital tank, as it was the smallest one the store had.  It did the job, but I disliked that there were no temperature settings on the heater...it just gave a range of high to low with marks in between, and it didn't give any equivalencies as far as degrees.   :-\  I had to watch the thermometer and do a lot of tinkering, and I waited awhile to make sure the temperature was steady.  It still made me nervous though, I didn't like that.

OP
zpecialt

zpecialt

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks all! It is just the tank and stand. I have found a few not-so-flattering reviews on their other products as well.

I did notice that there is a lip around the top for the hood/lighting to sit in, but I had not jotted down the dimensions to be sure it is a common size. The big purchase will probably be Monday or Tuesday so I'll be sure to take note of that. - Thanks Luniyn.

OP
zpecialt

zpecialt

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've bounced around so many fish possibilities. It's just so hard to choose. I've thought of a cichlid tank, or maybe a couple angels. I really want a fish that will recognize it's owner over time. By the time I get everything setup it will be a matter of selecting a school of something hardy to cycle the tank. I may start with swordtails and then see what can accompany them from there... any suggestions?

New Threads