Equalizing water temp for ich treatment

1. TheKiwi Member Member

Welp. There it goes. I haven't had a ich infection in any of my aquariums in the past 3 years, and my luck ran out today in my 30gal. Noticed 3 distinct ich cysts on one of my Cardinal tetras, no symptoms on any of my other fellas.

I'm going on a heat-only treatment for the whole aquarium. I've bumped temp up slowly to 85F, and will be keeping it that way for 2 weeks.

Now my question is, I intend to be doing daily 30% - 40% PWC + gravel vac. Right now, my tap water equalizes to about 75-78F from ambient temp, after resting for about 30 mins.

What's the pros thoughts on equalizing the new water's temp (i.e. Up to 85F), before adding it into my aquarium? Or is that not an issue and I can just add in straight to my aquarium?

In the ideal case, I would have a heater heating up 10-15 gallons of tap water prior to adding it into my aquarium, but I don't have that much time, a spare heater, nor that much space and buckets.

My only concern is (1) temp shock to my fishes; (2) whether the momentary dip in temp would affect the effectiveness of my heat treatment.

2. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

My suggestion would be to up the temp to 86° for two weeks along with the substrate vacuuming. All you have to do is try to get the temp right straight from the tap. Just use your hand to come close to the tank temp. If you are a little warmer than the tank water, no big deal, it will cool down to what you have the heater set to, vice versa.

3. clk89 Well Known Member Member

I use the finger test for getting equal or at least close to temps from tap to tank. This means I put a finger in the tank, and put a finger, from other hand, under tap until both my fingers feel that the water is the same temp.

4. TheKiwi Member Member

Thanks everyone. Guess I'll just let it sit for a bit and dump it in.