Epsom Salt

1. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

I'm thinking of adding a little bit of epsom salt to Sayuri's hospital tank to try to relieve some of the fluid remaining from the popeye. Is this a bad idea in general? She's still being medicated (almost done).

The problem is, when I started the hospital tank, before she developed the popeye, I added a little bit of aquarium salt. I've been pulling it out between water changes and now it's pretty much trace amount. To do the math at this point is kind of ludicrous but I think it's probably about 1/20th of a tablespoon left in the 10g of water lol.

Is it safe to add the epsom salt? Should I just not do it at all? The popeye started falling within 48 hours of when it appeared but it's been stuck at it's current level (just a tiny bit right behind the eye) for awhile now. I know the aquarium salt is probably partly to blame so...am I being impatient?

She stresses easily since she's alone so maybe it'll do more harm than good?

Sigh. I think I just answered my own question.

However, for general knowledge and to give this thread a purpose, what's the actual recommended dose of epsom salt? I can't really find a conclusive answer and I'd just kind of like to know even if I'm not adding it to her tank.

2. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I use it only in cases of dropsy or as a laxative. 1 TABLEspoon per 5 gallons of water.

3. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Thank you!

I worried about it because I know popeye can be a precursor to dropsy and she had the septicemia. But for now, I think I'm going to leave her be. She's had enough stuff messing with her poor little body and I don't want to stress her anymore than she already is.

If I see it get worse, then I'll use it.

But I'm glad I know the dose now, I thought it was less than the dose for aq salt, so thank you!