Epsom salt or aquarium salt for dropsy

roxyfan

I see conflicting information on whether to use epsom salt or aquarium salt to help with dropsy.
This article says to add aquarium salt for dropsy but other articles (such as this and this) say do not use aquarium salt because it will make it worse and use epsom salt instead.

I know antibiotics like Kanaplex and Maracyn 2 are the solution to actually treat dropsy but I was trying to determine whether epsom salt or aquarium salt also helps.

Bwood22

It really depends on why the fish is bloated. Just because a fish is bloated doesn't necessarily mean that it has dropsy.

When a fish starts retaining water inside its body, its osmotic regulation is out of whack and aquarium salt can help balance this out.

If a fish is impacted and cannot pass an intestinal blockage, Epsom salt can help alleviate this issue.
Also, another side effect of the intestinal blockage is that the fish's body starts retaining water thus aquarium salt can also be used in conjunction with the Epsom salt.

So, can you tell us a bit about how we got to this point, why do you suspect dropsy? is the fish pineconing? Is the fish eating then pooping?

I had a huge scare a few weeks ago but my dude pulled through....we were both relieved.

Before:
20210903_202239.jpg

After:
20210908_224404.jpg

roxyfan

It really depends on why the fish is bloated. Just because a fish is bloated doesn't necessarily mean that it has dropsy.

When a fish starts retaining water inside its body, its osmotic regulation is out of whack and aquarium salt can help balance this out.

If a fish is impacted and cannot pass an intestinal blockage, Epsom salt can help alleviate this issue.
Also, another side effect of the intestinal blockage is that the fish's body starts retaining water thus aquarium salt can also be used in conjunction with the Epsom salt.

So, can you tell us a bit about how we got to this point, why do you suspect dropsy? is the fish pineconing? Is the fish eating then pooping?

I had a huge scare a few weeks ago but my dude pulled through....we were both relieved.

Before:
20210903_202239.jpg

After:
20210908_224404.jpg
Yes my fish (a Bolivian ram) is pineconing and is slightly bloated. It was fine until yesterday (no pineconing and bloating). The top of its head is also discolored (very pale dull grey color).
It is also not eating (since about 2 weeks) - see next paragraph for the bigger background.

To give a bigger background for this fish, this fish has been in quarantine for just under a week now because it had a red swollen butt and was just sitting on the substrate all the time, hardly moving, and also not eating. So I put in quarantine about 5 days ago and then I saw red wormy stuff were starting to stick out of its butt so I gave a treatment of Expel P (Levamisole). That seems to have treated the red worms and the fish has been active again since the last 2 days (in the quarantine tank). I was going to watch it in quarantine for 2-4 more weeks before putting back in the main tank. And then today, I saw it's slightly bloated and pineconing and still not eating, and I am suspecting that it's dropsy, most likely caused by the stress of everything it has been going through the past 2 weeks (including the meds for the worms).

Rose of Sharon

So sorry to hear about your Bolivian ram!!!!

If you see pineconing, I would go with epsom salt baths. Use a separate container for the bath. That will help leach out the fluid that is buidling up, probably around the kidneys. Aquarium salt could cause the fish to retain more fluid.

I would also make sure that those callamanus worms are completely gone, too. I've read various articles, and it sounds like they can be tough to get rid of.

I hope he/she gets better!!!!

Ginger2078

Sorry to hear about you fish.
I have faced Dropsy in few of my fish, mostly Bettas. Unfortunately once they pineconing no salt , aquarium or Epsom, Kanaplex, Maracyn 2, fasting, peas and many other attempts have helped. It’s been fatal as soon as next day up until two weeks battling this horrible sickness. Sorry, I hope you’ll have a different experience.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nourhanateout22
Replies
Views
Analisemcg
Replies
Views
Linda1234
Replies
Views