Entirely frustrated and discouraged

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
I originally had this under the Fin Regrowth topic, but this is a whole new issue.

Yesterday I noticed a tiny bit of rot in some of the new, clear areas of growth Dory had. I did a 50% water change and put in more Fungus Clear yesterday... this morning it looked better, like almost healed, and now suddenly within the past few hours there's been more rot. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Last time the Fungus Clear didn't work until I added the second dosage... by the terrible rate at which this rot is progressing I don't know if I have that long.

Within the past four hours I have lost the last month or so of growth.

Before it started rotting again yesterday, it was looking SO PROMISING too. It had nearly a centimeter of regrowth and was starting to regain its color. It took weeks to get that far. I am starting to wonder if this will ever become resolved. I simply do not know what more I can do.

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Antisen, I know exactly what you are going through and how frustrated you must be. Neptune's tail does the same thing. I currently have him on meds again and am taking hope in the fact that there still is some tail regrown. Those red areas always end up fraying off. I can't remember if your tank is cycled or not -- mine isnt'.

I am finding that I just have to find the joy in having this little guy and do what I can. I know from your posts you also are doing all you can. It sounds so "pollyanna" to say to just try to find some enjoyment in him as you try to help him in spite of the fact that those fins keep fraying...but I found I had to finally do that to keep from going crazy.

Neptune is a kooky fish, thankfully he shows no signs of distress or anything out of the ordinary other than the tail thing. Is Dory acting normal also, eating, etc?? I know you have been going through all the meds too - I have every Maracyn product there is - LOL - including something for new fry which I will never use.

Hopefully the more experienced betta people on this forum will be able to assist you with medicating ( I hate to give advice on product since I have tried everything that was recommended, and Neptune still has relapses - I feed pellets, blood worms, Vita Chem, pea treats, which he devours - I have never had an ammonia or any other chemical spike - I have changed water and not changed water -- the whole 9 yards). I believe I have read in your posts you are doing the same.

Someone will come on here with med advice for sure, as for your frustration - know that you are not alone.....sometimes I found just writing it in this forum helped me with the frustration. Keep doing what you are doing -- hang in there!! Val & Neptune

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
antisen, I'm with you on the fin rot issue.  I took over GB's care in early-December and have had only two weeks when I wasn't treating the poor little guy.  Right now he has a nub for a tail (it's maybe 3/8 of an inch long) that is developing those whitish edges that tell me something is eating away at it.  I thought he was doing well after the penicillin treatment.  But after two weeks in the tank with the Bio-S, it's back to square one.  I'm as frustrated and discouraged as I could be.

Right now he's on Furan 2, which is not unlike the JL Fungus Clear.  He's been on it for five days now and I'm going for eight, if he makes it.  Then I'll rebuild his Hex and go with the penicillin again.  You can only take it one day at a time, though, so I don't want to start thinking that far in advance.

The JLFC isn't that strong, so maybe the next step for you is a Maracyn/Maracyn 2 combo.  IIRC, GB seemed to do okay with that, despite my not going two full rounds with the stuff.

While I share your frustration and discouragement, I wish you and Dory luck going after the rot.

Mike

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
My tank is uncycled... it had about .25ppm Ammonia yesterday BEFORE my 50% water change so the levels should be fine now (but the green medicated water makes measurements tricky since yellow/green are the colors my ammonia kit uses). He's never really had a problem with ammonia, especially on meds where it seems to stay around 0.

I know what you mean about enjoying your fish though. I just bought him a new flourescent light so I could see him better, since I couldn't use the incandescent one since it raised the water temperature so much. But now I can't use the flourescent light either, because it makes him flare, and I can't see him being able to handle that kind of stress right now. So he's pretty much been swimming in the dark since I've had him in this tank

Dory's behavior seems PRETTY normal... maybe more aggressive than usual? He flares at me for no reason. He's also changed spots in the tank... as in, he used to hang out at the front of the tank paying attention to me and my surroundings, and now he just keeps to himself around the tank decoration more. I don't think he's acting sick; his energy level is fine, he has no trouble swimming and doesn't really seem at all listless. In all honesty I could swear he's acting upset with me. God knows why though.

Mike:
I tried the Maracyn/Maracyn2 combo first, actually. It did essentially nothing but stress Dory out immensely. The Fungus Clear worked really well the first time I used it, which is why I'm using it again. There were still red areas last time before regrowth started. I am wondering if the red areas mean nothing can stay grown over it.

Does anyone have any real success stories with fin rot, or does it seriously just persist forever no matter what you do?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
antisen said:
Does anyone have any real success stories with fin rot, or does it seriously just persist forever no matter what you do?
We had success treating Aslan with the Fungus Clear, as of our leaving for vacation his regrowth looked good but we did pick up some TriSulfa to try should it ever come back as we figured on alternating meds IF we need more meds. I'd also like to try to figure out why Dory flares, as it could be related to his fin rot issues. Would you be able to post a pic of his entire tank area?

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
He doesn't flare at random things. He seriously only flares when he is hanging out in his root decoration and he sees me staring at him. It's kinda cute sometimes... like "Hey, I'm sleeping! Leave me alone!" but I want to rule out that it could be anything peculiar anyway. He also occasionally flares at my camera, but I hear a few bettas do that.

Here's pics of the setup, pretty much your typical Hex 5. I took pics both with and without the light on, but note that his light is pretty much never on. It's just easier to see what's in his tank that way. I also took a closeup of where he tends to hang out. At the bottom of the tank is a few scattered glass marbles over gravel.

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
For good measure, here's pics of the tail rot too. Pretty run-of-the-mill though. Note that his tail has never been very thick or long, but of course it was certainly longer than that. They extended rays were as long as the growth got before the recurrence... see how much he lost in just one day?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
antisen said:
He doesn't flare at random things. He seriously only flares when he is hanging out in his root decoration and he sees me staring at him. It's kinda cute sometimes... like "Hey, I'm sleeping! Leave me alone!" but I want to rule out that it could be anything peculiar anyway. He also occasionally flares at my camera, but I hear a few bettas do that.
Nice setup. Does he flare at someone else if he's in his root decoration and they look at him like you do? Does he do it the same lights on or off? If that's the only time he flares, i'd leave the light on for the usual time each day. He could be acting territorial. I hope i'm following you on his flaring.

That looks so much like Aslan's pattern of tail fin loss. Dory's going to beat this.. you & he will be more stubborn than the fin rot.

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
He flares more when I have the light on, especially if my room is a bit darker than his tank.

When do you get back from your vacation? I hope you have a good fishkeeper while you're gone!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We go back to Orlando next Monday. I setup all our tanks to be minimal maint. while we're gone & gave them the best cleaning & all the day before we left. They'll get that the day after we get back too. My mom is taking care of them - feeding them, talking to them, turning lights on & off, watching the temp, etc.. she doesn't know fish much, but calls most every day & we left like 3 pages of instructions and info for her along with a schedule.

Did you read the post Rose put up about putting in a ping pong ball to play with for a Betta? Maybe that would mellow Dory out some with the flaring? At the least it could be fun for both of you.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I know it's probably a little early, but Kyler's rot seems like it's going to be stubborn and need a second dose of Fungus Clear. I got home today and saw that his tail had lost a little more... the weird thing is, it's only in his tail, the rest of his fins are okay.

Still discouraging though to see this after I've medicated him for a few days with BettaFix, and now I'm going into day 4 with Fungus Clear. Hang in there Antisen.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Asinity said:
Still discouraging though to see this after I've medicated him for a few days with BettaFix, and now I'm going into day 4 with Fungus Clear. Hang in there Antisen.
A lot of times with Fungus Clear, the first does doesn't show a lot of change, but the 2nd dose does. We hope that's the case with Kyler.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom