Status
Not open for further replies.

jpaek7

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have looked everywhere and cannot find the answer to my question.

8.45oz of TSS+ (treats up to 500 gallons)
10-gallon tank

Do I really put the whole bottle in the tank of that size? The reason why I purchased the largest bottle is because I wanted to start-up multiple tanks.

I have 2 10-gallons as well as a 30 (can become 50) gallon tank. Right now, I only have the resources to set-up one 10-gallon tank.

AmnScott

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No, not needed. I usually use the smaller TSS+ bottles for smaller tanks.

Too much bacteria additive can cause excess bio-film or "slime" on the tank surface areas. Not a negative thing necessarily, but a general annoyance. I'd pour in 1/3rd of the solution, to 1/2.

jpaek7

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No, not needed. I usually use the smaller TSS+ bottles for smaller tanks.

Too much bacteria additive can cause excess bio-film or "slime" on the tank surface areas. Not a negative thing necessarily, but a general annoyance. I'd pour in 1/3rd of the solution, to 1/2.
Thank you so much for answering!!!!

That was what I was thinking but wanted to make sure with the experts. If I only use 1/2 the bottle for the 10-gallon, will the remaining 1/2 be enough for the 30-gallon?

Susiefoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The reason it's advised to put a whole bottle in is because the bacteria are not evenly distributed through the liquid. Even with very vigorous shaking (which you should always do before adding it), there's no guarantee that the liquid you put in will contain a proportionate amount of bacteria.

However it does seem a bit ridiculous to use a bottle for 500 gallons for a 10 gallon tank.

If you had asked before buying the TSS I would have suggested that you buy separate smaller bottles for the size of each tank, only when you are ready to set them up. This would ensure that you can use the whole bottle but also that the TSS is as fresh as possible. They have relatively short shelf-lives and it's advised that you choose a bottle as far away from the use-by date as possible.

It's up to you whether you want to take a chance and just use part of the bottle (I would suggest using more than the dose for your tank to give you the best chance - your idea of using half the bottle sounds sensible) or just buy a small bottle for the 10 gallon and use all of it. TSS is cheap over here (UK, where Tetra is popular) but I get the feeling it is pricier in the US. (Sadly it's the opposite for Seachem products which I use a lot more of!)

Good luck with it all Remember to leave at least 24 hours between using a dechlorinator and adding the TSS (after shaking hard for 3 minutes), then don't change water for 2 weeks.

AmnScott

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you so much for answering!!!!

That was what I was thinking but wanted to make sure with the experts. If I only use 1/2 the bottle for the 10-gallon, will the remaining 1/2 be enough for the 30-gallon?
Yes that should be fine, just make sure to mix the bottle well. As long as the bacteria in the bottle is alive (which sometimes you can get a dud), you should have enough in each pour (for the 10 gallon and 30) to assist you with your cycle. Wouldn't hurt to add a cap of Seachem Stability in a week or two. As mentioned above don't use conditioners such as Seachem Prime within 24 hours of TSS.

jpaek7

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The reason it's advised to put a whole bottle in is because the bacteria are not evenly distributed through the liquid. Even with very vigorous shaking (which you should always do before adding it), there's no guarantee that the liquid you put in will contain a proportionate amount of bacteria.

However it does seem a bit ridiculous to use a bottle for 500 gallons for a 10 gallon tank.

If you had asked before buying the TSS I would have suggested that you buy separate smaller bottles for the size of each tank, only when you are ready to set them up. This would ensure that you can use the whole bottle but also that the TSS is as fresh as possible. They have relatively short shelf-lives and it's advised that you choose a bottle as far away from the use-by date as possible.

It's up to you whether you want to take a chance and just use part of the bottle (I would suggest using more than the dose for your tank to give you the best chance - your idea of using half the bottle sounds sensible) or just buy a small bottle for the 10 gallon and use all of it. TSS is cheap over here (UK, where Tetra is popular) but I get the feeling it is pricier in the US. (Sadly it's the opposite for Seachem products which I use a lot more of!)

Good luck with it all Remember to leave at least 24 hours between using a dechlorinator and adding the TSS (after shaking hard for 3 minutes), then don't change water for 2 weeks.
I was thinking of purchasing separate bottles, but I was going to set-up the tanks at relatively the same time (maybe a week apart).

Thank you for the advice. Might go back and get two smaller bottles. The only problem is that the only petco on the island that sells it is a good 45min-1hour away, and they are the only one who carries it.

Susiefoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In your place I would probably risk it. Just shake the bottle like crazy for several minutes immediately before. Bash it against stuff. Then pour it in straight away and hope for the best Keep the tanks lightly stocked (should be 1-2 small fish per 10 gallons) and watch them closely for any signs of stress.

California L33

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Whatever bacteria you purchase you must shake the living daylights out of it. I'm talking about shake your arms off kind of shaking, not just flip the bottle up and down a dozen times. You're not just redistributing the bacteria, you're breaking up microscopic clumps that affect how much of it grows when putting it in a tank to reactivate it. If people don't think you've gone mad or are having a fit when they see you shaking it you haven't shaken it enough.

techfool

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I shake the bottle and shake and shake. Then I dose the stated amount. It's worked for me, or at least I think it has.

jpaek7

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In your place I would probably risk it. Just shake the bottle like crazy for several minutes immediately before. Bash it against stuff. Then pour it in straight away and hope for the best Keep the tanks lightly stocked (should be 1-2 small fish per 10 gallons) and watch them closely for any signs of stress.
Risk what? Dumping the whole thing? Or just 1/3 to 1/2 a bottle? I will be having a betta in the tank.

Susiefoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry, I meant I would probably risk splitting the bottle between the two tanks, and putting 1/3 to 1/2 of it into your 10 gallon.

jpaek7

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I shake the bottle and shake and shake. Then I dose the stated amount. It's worked for me, or at least I think it has.
What is the stated amount? The instructions state to add entire bottle to aquariums up to 100 gallons. Are you talking about for healthy maintenance (add 5ml for every 10 gallons when adding fish or water changes, etc)?

tommywantfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have looked everywhere and cannot find the answer to my question.

8.45oz of TSS+ (treats up to 500 gallons)
10-gallon tank

Do I really put the whole bottle in the tank of that size? The reason why I purchased the largest bottle is because I wanted to start-up multiple tanks.

I have 2 10-gallons as well as a 30 (can become 50) gallon tank. Right now, I only have the resources to set-up one 10-gallon tank.
I dump the whole bottle in. I have never had a problem. I use tss+ and tetra aquasafe + for cycling, and prime post-cycle.

techfool

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
5ml per 6 litres accirding to label.

jpaek7

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you everyone for your help! One last question (that I can't recall if it was answered or mentioned in the Q&A for TSS).

Can I add the TSS+ in a tank that already has a fish in it? I need to set up my 10-gallon tank and add my betta in it (advice from my other thread).

tommywantfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you everyone for your help! One last question (that I can't recall if it was answered or mentioned in the Q&A for TSS).

Can I add the TSS+ in a tank that already has a fish in it? I need to set up my 10-gallon tank and add my betta in it (advice from my other thread).

I have dumped entire bottles in with fish. never had an issue. That is in my personal experience, however. Everyone's water chem. is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom