Ensuring fry are fed

1. TheKayman Initiate Member

Hello,

My 10 gallon moss tank had become more full of life as mosses are starting to grow out, java fern making many smaller leaves, and anacharis are developing lots of side shoots. And I just can't forget the brown algae that I washed off.

Anyways, my guppies too brought babies yesterday and although not all of them survived, I think around 3 or 4 of them made it through hiding in several places. I do not have another tank to separate them, so I will be letting the babies settle in the same tank as the adults, and they always stay in the java moss. My question today is how do I ensure the babies are not starving?

Currently I have been feeding my 3 guppies Micro Wafers from HIKARI and some freeze dried brine shrimp and daphnia. But the babies sure cannot eat the wafers, but they won't eat the daphina that I crushed for then either. More precisely, they seem to be afraid of the food that I put in for them.

If anyone has successful experience of growing fries with adults, please tell me what I should do.

thank you all for looking!

2. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the Forum!!! I have guppy fry that are in my main tank (72gallon) and I made a mix of freeze dried bloodworms, freeze dried baby shrimp, tetra algae crisps and crush it so that is really fine almost powder. Sprinkle some on top of the java moss after target feeding the rest of the tank. I have some many batches of fry that they dont even hide anymore. Good Luck:;balloons

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I feed mine crushed flake fry food.

Hope this helps! Congratulations on the fry.

4. TheKayman Initiate Member

Thank you redless and bolivianbaby.
    I have tried grinding the food. I fed my adults less than usual and sprinkled mixture of ground foods. Turns out the fry chase them like crazy! It was really fun to watch tiny little thing engulfing tinier food piece and strugging on larger ones.

Also, I have something to share. A good method to make small pieces of freeze dried brine shrimp. I tried ripping them apart with my fingers at first but that still made large pieces. But instead, if you hold a block of freeze dried brine shrimp and gently rub your fingers on one of the surfaces, it makes very small powder like particles for fry to eat with no problem.

Anyways, it looks like I shall have more frequent water changes when giving small crushed food.. right?

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

That's an awesome idea with the brine shrimp! I've never thought of that! I'm going to do that next time. It'll be easier that trying to crush them with my fingers.