Enrichment Suggestions?

DaDani

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey there!
I'm the proud keeper of two beautiful little rescue goldies, Chowder and Milo, in a 55 gallon tank.
I've noticed lately that they've been sitting pretty motionlessly when not being fed or when they don't notice me in the room - which is fine and all for resting, of course, but I want to give them some more opportunities to be engaged.

Here's their setup as of right now, which I recently redid to try to encourage them to move about more - it's easier to hide food for them to find than it was before.

tumblr_oozwsnz8Dq1slkty6o1_1280.jpg

I also made a little feeder ball in the middle there, which they really get excited over and push around. I was thinking of getting some PVC piping and adding it on occasion to give them somewhere to swim through as well, but any additional suggestions for enrichment are totally welcome.

Thank you!

Summer22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've heard of people putting a ping pong ball in tank and teach the goldfish to push it around for a treat. Kind of like the ball you already have, but this one floats and the person just gives the treat. It's good you have two together. That's huge enrichment. You could teach them to eat out of your hand.

Keep a very close eye on them though if they continue to lay near bottom and not swim around much. That is often a huge red flag that somethings wrong.

DaDani

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Summer22 said:
I've heard of people putting a ping pong ball in tank and teach the goldfish to push it around for a treat. Kind of like the ball you already have, but this one floats and the person just gives the treat. It's good you have two together. That's huge enrichment. You could teach them to eat out of your hand.

Keep a very close eye on them though if they continue to lay near bottom and not swim around much. That is often a huge red flag that somethings wrong.
Absolutely. I am leaning towards it being understimulation, as it's not something they do when im around or when they're eating, no lethargy, they don't do it often, they stay upright, nothing visibly concerning, etc. I think they're just bored, really! But thank you for thinking to warn me!

Kalyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
X) My goldies don't stop moving. My tank is more heavily planted though. It also has a mostly potting soil substrate + is wider. As a relatively inexperienced goldie-keeper, that is the only visible difference between our tanks, it think.

8ff8c4140db97db0ba4c4cd56474543b.jpg

Edit: oh! and bubbles. I have an airstone in there

Edit: I also sometimes clip blanched spinach to the side not during feeding times to give them something to browse on.

DaDani

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kalyn said:
X) My goldies don't stop moving. My tank is more heavily planted though. It also has a mostly potting soil substrate + is wider. As a relatively inexperienced goldie-keeper, that is the only visible difference between our tanks, it think.

View attachment 308218

Edit: oh! and bubbles. I have an airstone in there

Edit: I also sometimes clip blanched spinach to the side not during feeding times to give them something to browse on.
What a lovely tank! :"Dc I think your tank might provide more stuff for them to interact with, I like the bubbler idea. I have one sitting around I can add in!

I feel like I should clarify, as I totally bugged up my wording and phrasing (doy), they really only slow down near the end of the day, but I still want to get them excited! They're in a mostly dark room with just the two of them, and Milo is a black moor so he has a harder time navigating the tank properly and tends to need explore less thoroughly. I guess it's almost like not having tankmate sometimes for Chowder?

Thank you guys!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom