Enrichment ideas for goldfish?

sydrc

lately i’ve noticed my goldfish looking.. bored. i feel bad because i’ve been working a lot and can’t spend much time interacting with them. i only interact with them when i feed them and clean the tank. i have a couple ideas on how to entertain them, like during feeding time i could use a veggie clip instead of hand feeding them like always. also marimo moss balls for them to push around, but they’re hard to find right now. they have live plants they like to pick the algae off of (i leave it there for them) and sand they like to sift through but that’s about it. any ideas?

Attachments

• BB7BD04E-13B6-4FF5-B918-8D1DEB34C402.jpeg
    BB7BD04E-13B6-4FF5-B918-8D1DEB34C402.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 12

Frank the Fish guy

My goldfish like to hang out and play and chase around the fish of their own body type. If your two fish do not interact with each other, then the fish are behaving as if they are alone - depressed. They might not see the other fish as something to play with. Goldfish are social animals. They each would like a fish of their own kind to play with. Just add some more filtration if needed to support more fish.

I also have a weather loach with my goldfish. He keeps them active.

Goldfish like to search for food. Try giving sinking pellets and spread them around the tank, and feed a little often. This keeps them hunting around for food. You could get an automatic feeder that dispenses sinking pellets a few at a time while you are gone.

OutsideFoodBlob

Gold fish guilt trip! I think they are probably fine and just happy to see you. You’re their outside food blob and they know if they wiggle and beg they’ll get snacked.
Depending on where tank is have your morning tea/coffee and enjoy them for a few minutes before you start your day.

sydrc

My goldfish like to hang out and play and chase around the fish of their own body type. If your two fish do not interact with each other, then the fish are behaving as if they are alone - depressed. They might not see the other fish as something to play with. Goldfish are social animals. They each would like a fish of their own kind to play with. Just add some more filtration if needed to support more fish.

I also have a weather loach with my goldfish. He keeps them active.

Goldfish like to search for food. Try giving sinking pellets and spread them around the tank, and feed a little often. This keeps them hunting around for food. You could get an automatic feeder that dispenses sinking pellets a few at a time while you are gone.
i want to add another goldfish but i’d have to just keep lining up fluval aquaclears along the back because i don’t have space for more filtration anywhere else. i have 2 fluval aquaclear 50s running and it’s a 55 gallon tank. how much would i need to add for another fish?
Gold fish guilt trip! I think they are probably fine and just happy to see you. You’re their outside food blob and they know if they wiggle and beg they’ll get snacked.
Depending on where tank is have your morning tea/coffee and enjoy them for a few minutes before you start your day.
they seem to be doing fine now they’re just picking all around for food all day. i want to get a moss ball for them to pick at and push around

Frank the Fish guy

I have a 42 gallon goldfish tank. I run one Aquaclear 70, and I also have an undergravel filter with a powerhead. I have 5 3" goldfish plus schools of minnows and a large loach. Water is crystal clear and fish thrive and are active.

If space is limited undergravel filters with a power head are a great way to increase your bio filter way beyond what a hang on filter can do.

Your 2 Aquaclear 50s give you double filtration. You can put more fish in this tank no problem!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TheeLadyG
Replies
Views
DaDani
Replies
Views
NahNah
  • Question
Replies