Enough Plants to Remove Annoying Filter?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Daac, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Daac

Daac Well Known Member Member

I have a 2.5 gallon fish tank that is planted with microswords, flame moss, and some fissidens fontanus. It houses only yellow shrimp, pond snails, and a corona nerite snail. I have a deco art nano filter on the tank which needs a sponge on the intake to keep from sucking up shrimp. This sponge gets clogged to the point that the filter almost completely stops pumping water more than once a week and usually almost twice. I currently have 2 NPT Walstad tanks one of which is a very heavily planted (can't see the back) 2.5 gallon mini bow with RCS and Pond snails. Both of my NPT's have dirted bottoms unlike this yellow shrimp tank. Do you guys think that this tank has enough plants to keep the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates low enough to keep the shrimp and snails safe? I really like the nerite and shrimp so I don't want to risk losing them but I don't like having to take the tank apart twice a week to clean the filter which thanks to my custom mini-cabinet is a bear of a job. Another thing I consider is that I think the filter is the cause of 90% of the ammonia that the tank would experience. The pond snails climb into the filter for reasons I do not know and they get stuck there. They die and leave a nasty sludge of decomposing snail bits. Every week or two this builds up to incredible thicknesses in the sponges inside the filter and I have to clean the inside of the filter as well. Would it be too big a risk to remove the filter completely and just have the tank with plants as a filter even though it has no dirt substrate? Thanks and sorry for the long post. Here are some pictures to judge how heavily planted the tank is:
    Picture1203122026_1.jpg
    Picture1203122023_3.jpg
    Picture1203122023_2.jpg
    Picture1203122023_1.jpg

2. scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

very nice looking tank, i think it wold be ok , just add a air stone for movement and air so the shrimp dont suffocate at night

3. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Try it. And test your water daily for a week or two to be sure.

4. Terra

Terra Well Known Member Member

Maybe keep your filter media in another tank so the bacteria don't die off during your test... just in case you need it back.

Awesome looking tank!

5. OP
    OP
    Daac

Daac Well Known Member Member

Thanks everyone! I'll give it a shot and keep the filter on my 15 for now. I'll just keep an eye on the parameters like you say.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice