Enough light?

hamstermann

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just switched the light in my 10 gal tank hood to a for 15 watt 10,000 K bulb. Is that enough light for plants that need "Bright" light? It looks darker than the old light, but the guy at the lfs said that it had a more full spectrum which was better for plants. anyone want to weigh in with an opinion or experience?

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think 15 watts will be ok for plants that can grow in low light. That is the same as my set up and the low light plants do ok.
For high light needing plants we would both need at least twice the light.

I am supplimenting my light with direct morning sunlight and I could still use more light. My plants that should have red leaves are still mostly green, and I don't have significant algae. (just a small bit of green algae behind the filter) So real light it is until I can afford fancy hoods with better lighting.

--R

hamstermann

Valued Member
Reaction score
Morning light's a good point. my 55 gets direct sunlight in the morning too and has a T5 on it. Maybe I'll put my HC in there and hope the fish don't eat it faster than it can grow.

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
10,000k? 10000k is leaning toward blue light and may not benefit your plants. It will tend to stay in the 'cool' range and may give things a blue hue......5500k is as close to average daylight as you can get. It should provide a broad spectrum of light that plants would benefit from.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom