enough light? Question 

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hi! I have some java moss, but I am interested in getting more low-light plants. right now my light is one florescent tube, 24"....that came with my kit.

so I was wondering if I got a special "plant light tube" would that be enough. I am trying to avoid buying another 2 tube strip light if I don't have to.

the bulb i'm looking at is the zoo med flora sun, 5000K...and the 24" one has 17w.

the other light is flora-glo tube, 2800k, 24" has 20w.

which would be better? would one of these work? x

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I assume this is for your 20 gallon? It would be better if you had a second tube over the tank, especially if it's a 20 tall. If you want to try with just the one tube you can but I wouldn't recommend either of the tubes your thinking of. Something with a k rating of between 6,500 & 10,000 would suit plants better. You could look into the Hagen Life-Glo2(6,700k) which I think is 18w from memory or the Phillips Aquarelle (6,500k I think) which I also think is 18w.

Plants you could try with just the one tube would include Java Moss, Java Fern, African Water Fern, Water Sprite, Anubius species, many of the Cryptocoryne species & perhaps Anacharis/Elodea would be ok as well.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yes, 20 gallon...I think it's a tall....its not a long. are there any 20s that are just regular? thanks for the bulb/ ideas. I guess I can try with one tube to start....and see how it goes

the hagen is a t5.....will it fit the fixture I have?

edit- I looked at t5 fixtues, as I don't think it will fit mine. a single is almost as much as a double.....so if I was buying one....I get the double.....

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From memory (which can be a bit fuzzy) a 20 gallon extra tall is 20x10x24", a 20 gallon tall is 24x12x16" & a 20 gallon long is 30x12x12". The 30" tank is the standard size 20 gallon over here I believe. Those dimensions could be wrong though, it's been years since I bought one or set one up.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
if I got the double fixture.... each tube is 24w, and 6700k. would this be ok for low/moderate plants? or too much for low?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You ninja'd me while I was getting a link for you. How rude! ;D

T5s need their own fixture because they're smaller than the common T8s.

I just bought the Coralife Aqualight for the 37g and love it. It's a power compact fixture so it's reasonably priced. It's like a whole new tank with this light on it. And it gives me 1.75wpg so I can grow medium light plants but avoid using CO2.

-Lisa

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I misread your first post, I thought you only had a single tube. (sorry it's getting late over here). I would use a combination of tubes with one being between 6,500k & 10,000k. The other tube would be a Sylvania Gro-Lux which IMO is the best plant grow tube ever made. The Gro-Lux is also 18w & gives out the ideal spectrum for plant growth.

Two tubes will be fine in all but the extra tall tank & even then you should still be able to grow the list of plants I gave you. In either of the other tanks you could add in Vallisneria, Hygrophila Polysperma 'Sunset', Fissedens, Water Wisteria, Ambulia, Ozelot Sword, Pellia, Red Tiger Lotus, Marimo Moss Balls, Aponogeton Undulatus & you might even get away with Dwarf Sag & Dwarf Bacopa.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think she does have a single tube on this tank, Nutter. At least that's how I'm reading it.

Jeri, if you've got a single tube fixture I'd say you'll have to upgrade because fluorescent lighting wattage is determined by bulb size, it's not like incandescent bulbs that can have bigger filaments put in the same housing. The Coralife fixture is around $55 before shipping for yor size tank, so it's cheap and great.

-Lisa

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
oh ok thanks lisa for the tip about the coralife fixture. and 55 is not bad at all. I'll check it out

edit-lisa I can't find a coralife fixture for that price that's a double. or were you referring to a single fixture? it looks like the single fixture comes with a 65w, 6700k compact florecent tube......is that what you have?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads