Enough Light For 60 Gallon Tank? Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by HamSnacks, Jun 19, 2018.

1. H

HamSnacks Valued Member Member

So currently working on my first Planted Tank, so far everything looks alright but I have a feeling maybe I'm not getting enough light to the bottom of the tank. Its lightly planted right now but by the end of the week, it will be heavily planted.

60 Gallon Tank, (48" Wide, 12" Deep, 24" High)

I have 2 x 18" 15W T8 Daylight (6500k) Bulbs running for 8-9 Hours a day.
    The hoods they are in, read 120VAC, 60Hz, 17 W. These are the hoods that came with the tank, and then the lights sit directly on top of the glass covers.

Do you guys think that's enough, if not should I increase the hours, or remove the glass lids or should I invest in LEDS, if I should invest, what are your opinions on this bar, I would buy the 46"-54" Bar. I would remove the hoods, and just have it go the length of the tank, but can I keep the glass lids or should I have them removed as well?

Thank you in advance, sorry for the long post.

vCY7p91.jpg

2. spike98

spike98 Valued Member Member

This is the website I use to check if my lighting is effective. I will have to leave the question of if you current setup is the best setup for someone with more experience. It would be in the best interest to post the plants you plan to have to help people choose the most efficient lighting for you as some plants are low, medium, and high light needs.

3. OP
    OP
    H

Thanks for the Website Spike98, I entered all the information but I don't actually know what it means lol.
    PAR @ Depth: 5
    LUX @ Depth: 3837
    Lumens/Watt: 93
    Lumens: 2790
    LSI: 4.84
    Watts/Liter: 0.13
    Watts/Gal: 0.50
    Sq m: 0.3716
    Tank liters: 226.53
    Tank US gallons: 59.84

In general, all the plants I will be planting are beginner plants (ferns, Amazons, Vals...) All require low-medium light, no complicated plants.

4. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

While I haven't done much with planted tanks in a while I can tell you that 5 PAR isn't much at all. I'm not familiar with that calculator, but if it's accurate, then I'd imagine you'd struggle keeping anything other than things like Anubias, Java Moss, Anacharis, and maybe some hornwort. And with 0.5 watts per gallon, you're pretty low on that spectrum too (the watts/gallon rule is outdated, and isn't accurate, but is still a good guideline when talking about older T8 fixtures IMO).

I might suggest that you upgrade to a T5HO fixture (or two) for this tank, and I'd imagine that'd give you much better lighting and allow for most plants. Someone with more recent experience with large planted tanks should definitely speak up and give some more specific information, but with what you have now, i wouldn't expect too much.

5. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Your stock lights are prettt bad and i dont think you wilp be able to grow much with them.

6. OP
    OP
    H

So do you think this bar would be good enough then?

If I get the 46" - 54" Bar, the specs are all written on the page, but since it's not waterproof, would it be better to keep the Glass or Should I remove it, do your tanks have no lids?

7. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Nicrew isn't really geared toward or made for plants, but I think it'll do for what you want. It just means you'll always have to stick to really low light plants if you buy new plants.

I don't keep hoods on my tanks, mine are all rimless tanks or have clear lids. The seller description says to use it over a lid though, probably has to do with evaporation affecting the lights.

8. OP
    OP
    H

I actually found a seller who has 4 x 48" Sunblaster Nanotech T5 Reflectors (54Watts each) so I think I'll be going with those, hopefully he doesn't sell them on me.

That should bring my total to 216 Watts and they are at 6400K.

Will just have to figure out the whole lid situation, once I do start introducing fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice