Question Enough Filtration?

iGreenie

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi everyone! I recently bought a new filter for my 70 gallon aquarium in my families dining room and would like to know if I have enough filtration to house 6 or 7 discus. My newest filter is the Cascade 1500 and it's been running pretty smoothly (set it up last week, however it is doing a little whistling near the returning flow which I have to adjust). I also have a marineland penguin bio-wheel 350 and two sponge filters that are made for 60 gallon aquariums. I'm feeling pretty comfortable with my set up right now and don't feel like I need to worry all that much about filtration now. Would this be an adequate amount of filtration? Thanks in advance!

kattiq

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
From what I have read, you want to make sure you are at least filtering your tank 4 times over with whatever filtration you are using. I just saw this video posted on another thread by Bloodfeather that was really helpful:

Chanyi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My general rule is to use a filter or combination of filters with a manufacturer claimed 10x tank turnover per hour. In reality, this will result in ~ 5 x per hour tank turnover.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I like to go for 10x an hour personally, both of those filters should turnover 350gph so combined 700gph giving you 10x turnover. I'd say it's enough

New Threads