Enough filtration?

1. Andrew Sackett Member Member

I currently have 1 marine land 150 power filter, 1 topfin 75 (i don't know why it says 75 I'm pretty sure it's rated for 55gallons), and I also have a finnex px 360 filter that is broken right now but I'm taking it back to get it fixed or replaced. Does this sound like enlighten filtration? I have 3 angels 6 corys 1 angelicus loach and a dojo loach and a BN pleco.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Check the flow rate of the filters and add the together. Then divide that number by the volume of your tank. As a general rule if you have the volume of your tank flowing through those filters at least 3 times an hour your clear.

You can never have to much filtration, however you can have to much flow but if your fish aren't being blown around the tank your good.

3. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

What size tank are these on? I'm assuming its the 55 gallon in your profile.

The combo of the Penguin 150 and the Topfin 75 should be enough. Although I'm not a fan of most Topfin products at it is just Petsmart cheapo brand, and they are not the best filters. The Penguin 150 is good in my opinion. If your looking to upgrade, SunSun canisters are great, and apparently they are selling for around $30 including shipping now on ebay or amazon, cant remember. The HW-302 is what I have on my 40 gallon and it is great.

4. Andrew Sackett Member Member

The finnex makes a bit a flow enough to make my corys struggle a little but it's in the back corner.

I added the GPH all up and divided by 55 and the result was 6.27 repeating