Enough filtration for a pond?

Discussion in 'Ponds' started by Bajoc, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Bajoc

BajocValued MemberMember

Hey Fishlore,

Just built a pond on July 4th for my Dad, it's around 350 gallons. It is tiered with the out most ring of the pond being 1 ft deep, the inner ring being 2ft deep, and the center 2ft x 2ft area being 3ft deep.

The pump has some built in filtration, it is a sicce syncra 3.0. This connects to a waterfall box filled with bio balls.

I had my dad add a few dozen rosy red minnows for cycling purposes. But is the pump and the filter enough for the bio load of the eventual inhabitants, about 6 large goldfish and rosy reds?

Thanks in advance,
    Bajoc

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Dadio

DadioWell Known MemberMember

This pump is capable of 714 gph which will work for a small bioload but not for a goldfish pond. You can enhance the filtration using a bog or planted cage filter.

Goldfish get quite big and are heavy on bioloads. You want to aim for at least 2 times the rotation of water in your pond, the more the better. Mine rotates 3200+ g 7 times per hour as I stock koi.
    What you can expect from a pond in terms of bioload?

Example 1. Low fish numbers, pond in shade (lowest bioload)
    Example 2. Low fish numbers, pond in full sunlight
    Example 3. High fish numbers, pond in shade
    Example 4. High fish numbers, pond in full sunlight (highest bioload)

350 gallons will work for a short time only though. I highly suggest 500g and up but for 350 it can work for a small stocking. Someone stated koi and goldies are just carp and less trouble then tropicals and let me state this, their genetic linage stems from the use of carp genes but are not carp in anyway or form and can provide many problems should their pond not be setup in a manner that is both effient and practical for both humans and their friends.

3. OP
    OP
    Bajoc

BajocValued MemberMember

I have a good deal of experience with plants in a home aquarium and I was planing on stocking the pond with a good deal or hornwort, cambomba, dwarf water lettuce, and bacopa caroliniana.

Is this what you meant my a plant cage filter?

Also, the livestock will eventually be 4 or 5 goldies and some minnows.

What would you recommend to help deal with the bioload?

4. Dadio

Take a look at my thread on my koi pond. I use a cage filter using yellow flag iris and a few other plants. The plants will greatly help in the bioload. Waterfall filters can help as well while adding circulation and aeration. Can you post a picture of your pond? From there I can see what's going on and make recommendations from there.

5. OP
    OP
    Bajoc

BajocValued MemberMember

I have a few pics from the day I built it.

6. Dadio

When you get time post them here please. Thanks.

7. OP
    OP
    Bajoc

BajocValued MemberMember

It's from the point of view of the 3ft deep end looking at the shallower end with the water fall(which has been change to give more flow). The pump resides on the bottom on my end

Attached Files:

8. Dadio

So, if I understand rightly, the pump is in the deepest part feeding the waterfall at the other end. If so, the flow rate is most likely half of what it's capable of using short distance. Here's what I would do. Buildup your waterfall to create 3 levels where the mid level is a small pool. Plant reed plants, cattails or other rooted plants. This will act as another stage of filtration. Use lava rock or pumice rock for substrate in the areas where you plant. Plants that are bog plants work ideal for this. Along parts of the edge of your pond, here you can also do the same. I'd do that to each side of the waterfall providing a focal point. Cage filters are crates used to tie in plants with blubs or even cattails as I did in my pond. The crate allows for water to pass and the dangling roots to increase filtration so this requires good circulation and your pond is somewhat small for using a veggie cage but can be enhanced with what I suggested. Other option is to get a larger pump to provide more flow to the waterfall, use a waterfall spillway with bio filtration or a pressurized canister filter.

9. Flowergarden129New MemberMember

If you don't live somewhere where you can take them from the wild, where can you get cattails?

10. Dadio

Check with your garden shops or centers. This is where I got my dwarf cattails and a few others. Yellow flag iris are really good and very hardy.

When I go out and about nature I always look if there's something I can bring back. I am very careful when doing so and it may sound silly, but I ask the plant if it wishes so. I don't ever destroy any of the surrounding areas as well. In any areas where it is prohibited I also respect this. I remember as a young boy and even today as we drive down the roads there were at times cattails in the gutter ways. When out biking I'm always keeping an eye out for different mosses, forest flowers or others. I allays make sure it's not an invasive, meaning over running plant as well. Last year I came across a forest tiger lily and it came back this year.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice