Enough filtration for 55 gallon?

frogster221
I'm going to be getting a 55 gallon aquarium with everything included and I wanted to know if I needed to buy a better filter. sorry I don't know exactly what type of filter it is that I will be getting. I do know that it is a hang on back filter that it is brand new and that it has 2 outlets for water. the box says its rated for a 50 to 60 gallon tank but ive read threads about people having 2 of these or a canister filter or a powerhead with a prefilter on it. thanks in advance.

FL CommunityFans
You need something that says it filters 550 gph (gallons per hour). If it's rated for 50-60 gallons. odds are it does 250-300gph. You would need a second filter. Or you could buy an overrated filter (meaning a much larger filter rated at 550 gph) and move your old filter to a 20-30gallon tank in the future.

also, it'd help if you could list the filter you have. Could very easily tell ya what to do next.

frogster221
as soon as I buy the tank with the filter ill be sure to tell you

frogster221
quick question on my 20 gallon tank I have a filter rated up to 150 gph and it works great do I really need a bigger filter I have a very tight budget

COBettaCouple
That would be ok.. it's pretty close.

frogster221
I found the filter but then I forgot the name of it but I do remember that the gph was 400 its only 150 gph off would that be ok? or should I still invest in a powerhead or another small filter

COBettaCouple
It's doable, but I'd add more filtration when possible.

frogster221
if I have enough money ill buy a small filter from walmart or something cheap

FL CommunityFans
frogster221
no credit cards or check ill check out the lfs though

Trpimp147
i'd suggest just waiting for a little while set 5 bucks aside and get one that filters like 200+ then you'll be over filtered and have to clean the filters less and more bio filtraion in the tank helps always.

frogster221
ok ill do that asap

Trpimp147
that's what I suggest its up to you. I have an emporer 400 (400gph) and a penguin 350 (350) and power head for 280

frogster221
ok well it all depends on the cost ill do what I can

a&j's_tank
I run a bio wheel, and the filter that came with my tank....and I love it

I just do small water changes...and my tank is always clean

btw...I am gonna add another bio-wheel soon and take out the other off brand filter

Trpimp147
I prefer over filtering, that lets me skip a week if needed on a water change I usly do a 30-50% water change tho. I make sure I clean the gravel good at first then let it take out some water.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Finatic005
Replies
Views
Rob Shannon
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
  • Question
Replies