Energy efficient filters

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by FishJunkie50, Jan 12, 2013.

1. FishJunkie50New MemberMember

2. beginnerValued MemberMember

I know i'm off topic but its the heater that needs to be more efficient!!!! 200 watts, holy cow.

3. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Heaters are efficient. They do not run all the time, only when needed. It's actually more efficient to run a bigger heater than needed because it will need to run much less.

In general, HoB's cost less than a dollar a month to run.

4. beginnerValued MemberMember

1 btu, is 1 btu is 1 btu. 8.35xgallons of tank divided by 3.41= wattage needed of heater. I agree you should round up though

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  5. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Where did you come up with that figure?

6. beginnerValued MemberMember

idk do you think its accurate. I may be wrong

7. EthanWell Known MemberMember

math was never my place but if HoB's cost less than a dollar how much does a canister cost roughly a month. and someone PLEASE tell my dad about how much it costs he won't get off my rear about it even though i tell him it doesn't cost near as much as he thinks it does too run a fish tank

8. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I don't think it's accurate at all. Just like 1" of fish per gallon isn't accurate. It doesn't take in to account ambient room temperature. According to that formula, my 29 gallon tank would only need 71 watts to be heated. I've tried a 100 watt heater in my 29, doesn't cut it. I need at least 150w to keep a stable temperature.

There is a bit of trial and error at times. I don't think there's any one rule to determine how large of a heater is needed for all tanks.

As for the filter, I know there was a member a little while back that ran a meter on his HoB and it averaged to about 40 cents a month to run.

9. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

How many watts does your canister use? Mine uses 23, really not that much. TV's use more power.

10. beginnerValued MemberMember

I have a dozen heaters. I have a 200watt fluval on a 75. its set four degrees low but, I have great water circulation, maybe that's the difference. I came up with that formula when I was looking at the aquaclear 110s wattage. it uses 14watts, at 12cents a kilowatt hour that's 1.12 a month. I have no idea how much a heater runs in a day, but i guessed 3 hours. if that's the case, 100 watts is 1 dollar a month 200 is two dollars a 300 is 3 and so on

11. beginnerValued MemberMember

when I moved out of my parents house their electric bill went down 70 a month!!!!!!!!!!!! no joke, and I still have a 300watt heater two penguin 350's and an air pump there. one of my canisters is 55 watts, that's 5 bucks a month. 50 watt light. that's 5 bucks a month 5 buck for the circulation pump, and 2.50 for the heater. that's 17 dollars just for one tank. now add the other 7 to that

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  12. FishJunkie50New MemberMember

I dont have a heater on my tank.

13. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I think I spend more on water than I do on power for my tanks.

14. FishJunkie50New MemberMember

I have a 20g long and 10g without any heaters. They've been established for two years already. The reason i asked is because im about to setup my 75g and I was just curious to see what was the best energy efficient filter out there.

15. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I was JUST going to say that.

16. EthanWell Known MemberMember

ah my canister only uses 10 watts cheap little bugger

17. beginnerValued MemberMember

doubt I put 5 bucks of water in my tanks in two months. but I'll pay 140 to power them

18. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

19. beginnerValued MemberMember

is 5 dollars for 1000 gallons

20. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

It's not just the water, but the water heater....

I have all electric, including heat and the stove, and my electric bill averages 200. Some months are about 140 total. In addition to the show tanks, I have 5 quarantine tanks ranging from 5 to 29 gallons that run continuously. I have 10 canister filters and 5 HOBs. 4 of the canisters are sunsuns, and draw 50some watts. Also, I change 80% of the water on each tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice