Energetic/Entertaining Fish

Frobins

Reaction score
Hey all I've been keeping fish for about 2 years now and would say I'm avid in the hobby. I started with a 20 gallon, and have worked my way up to a 55, and after an outbreak in my tank about 2 months ago I can now confidently say it has been irradicated. I am looking to restock my tank, which is now left with 3 emperor tetras and a handful of Amano shrimp, and would like an entertaining or energetic fish/fishes to put in the tank. Something that either has some personality or zooms around the tank would be cool. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are you looking for a schooling species? Or would you prefer something with more personality like a Cichlid? You could do a dwarf Cichlid species and a large school of something like Rasboras or Rummy nose tetras

Otocinclus13

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Zooming makes me think of two species: you could get a few pictus catfish in a tank that size- they are stunning and hyperactive with a ton of personality. If you're looking for something smaller, zebra danios can get pretty manic as well. Dwarf ciclids are much slower moving but have tons of personality, and EBA as well, but they're much larger. A tank full of barbs would be very active as well, maybe lots of tiger bards in different colors.

CHJ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For zooming: glowlight danios, accept no substitute.

For personality and fun. A puffer (this means you will also need a large pail and possibly a tank to raise snails in). For easier dietary requirements medium SA cichlids like terrors and Oscars have personality.

OP
F

Frobins

Reaction score
CHJ said:
For zooming: glowlight danios, accept no substitute.

For personality and fun. A puffer (this means you will also need a large pail and possibly a tank to raise snails in). For easier dietary requirements medium SA cichlids like terrors and Oscars have personality.
I would love a puffer, and have looked into them in the past but don't they usually require some sort of salinity in the water

OP
F

Frobins

Reaction score
Otocinclus13 said:
Zooming makes me think of two species: you could get a few pictus catfish in a tank that size- they are stunning and hyperactive with a ton of personality. If you're looking for something smaller, zebra danios can get pretty manic as well. Dwarf ciclids are much slower moving but have tons of personality, and EBA as well, but they're much larger. A tank full of barbs would be very active as well, maybe lots of tiger bards in different colors.
I like the idea of maybe a few pictus cats, but don't they get aggressive or am I mistaken for another species

Otocinclus13

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've heard that they can snack on smaller fish. They do have very large mouths for their size. I'm holding a full-grown one for my inlaws (indefinitely right how) with a school of black neons and otos and I haven't lost any small fish in the month they've been together. This is my first experience with them, so it's well worth double checking.

New Threads