Endlers Staying At Surface

all-out-fallout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What are your water parameters? Even if you just did a water change and a vacuum job, sometimes there can be debris that was missed and is causing an ammonia spike. I’d test the water first and foremost, and once water chemistry is confirmed or eliminated as a problem you can move from there.

Daniel Price

Valued Member
Reaction score
all-out-fallout said:
What are your water parameters? Even if you just did a water change and a vacuum job, sometimes there can be debris that was missed and is causing an ammonia spike. I’d test the water first and foremost, and once water chemistry is confirmed or eliminated as a problem you can move from there.
All parameters are good and ph is fine. it is only that one endler.

all-out-fallout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Daniel Price said:
All parameters are good and ph is fine. it is only that one endler.
Does he have any visible marks or ailements when you watch him (other than staying at the top)? Also, does he seem bouyant, like he might have a swim bladder issue?

Also if I could have your nitrate ppm that would be great info to have just in case.

Daniel Price

Valued Member
Reaction score
all-out-fallout said:
Does he have any visible marks or ailements when you watch him (other than staying at the top)? Also, does he seem bouyant, like he might have a swim bladder issue?

Also if I could have your nitrate ppm that would be great info to have just in case.
Now its moving around like normal. possibility it was a napping during that time.

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Possibly low oxygen levels, or he could just be stressed because of the water change and the sudden movement around the tank. I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless he is still at the surface after 12 hours.

If it is low oxygen levels, try adding in an air stone.

live4wetsleeves

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would say it's probably your dissolved oxygen (DO) levels. Tap water typically had a much higher CO2 level than the aquarium water. Most of the time, fish hang around at the top because the tank has low DO. Near the surface is where gas exchange occurs and fish can get more oxygen up there. If it were me, I'd throw an aerator in the tank and run it for a little bit. It will agitate the water and cause CO2 to leave, and oxygen will replace it. The endlers should be happier after that. It could of course be a parameter/temperature issue but I've never seen fish hang out strictly at the surface for a chemical imbalance.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom