Endlers Or Guppies For Community Tank Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Marcos Fire, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Marcos Fire

Marcos FireNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hello,

I'm getting a new 45G long setup. My LFS would be doing the cycling for me, so this may be at least a month before I get it.

After the tank has been cycled, I'll be adding
    8 x Zebra danios [4 at a time]
    8 - 12 Rummy nose tetra [all together after 3-4 weeks]
    maybe 6 panda cories later and couple of Amanos & Nerites at last

Now, I'm wondering should I add Endlers or fancy Guppies (1:2 :: M:F) in this tank?
    I heard Endlers are bit shy and not as outgoing as Guppies, also Endlers tend to stay at around 1'' in size, so will Danios be dangerous to them?
    Is zebra danio + fancy guppy a good combination?

Not too worried about fries, too many mouths to keep them in check ;), but this setup will be a well planted one. In case I end up with a few of these, I'll hand them back to my LFS (for a very low price or free)

Thanks.

2. Algonquin

AlgonquinWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +661
    Experience:
    2 years
    In my experience, Endlers are not shy at all. Mine are just like mini-guppies - very active, always wanting food, and chasing each other all over the tank. Guppies might do a bit better with the danios, simply because the guppies would be similar in size - although having said that, Danios (in my experience) chase and quarrel amongst themselves, but don't really bother the other fish.
    Perhaps someone who has kept Danios with Endlers (and the other fish mentioned above) will comment. :)

3. emeraldking

emeraldkingWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,222
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    In general, endlers aren't shy in comparison to guppies. Wether it's gonna be endlers or guppies, both will do well in combination with danios.

4. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,048
    Experience:
    2 years
    I've had guppies and Zebras together in my 55 in the past and they do very well together. Very active and fun to watch them both. I can't comment on the endlers but i would figure as others have said they are mini colorful guppies and will do just as well with them. Having both Zebras and Rummys may look a bit crowded. I would up the Zebra school and up the Panda school (12 each ) and then find a cooler water centerpiece fish to add to your stock.

5. OP
    OP
    Marcos Fire

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    I wanted a schooling fish, not sure if 10-12 danios will school as tightly as Rummynoses. What would be your choice of centerpiece?
    I guess Angels are way out of league or how about a pair of Rams?

6. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,048
    Experience:
    2 years
    I had 6 zebras in my 55 and they schooled pretty well. no experience with rummys. Yes i beleve Angels like the water temp a bit higher than zebras. I was going to suggest Bolivian Rams they can handle cooler waters. The Germans prefer the water temp pretty high 82-85

7. OP
    OP
    Marcos Fire

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    The Rams seem to be incompatible with Zebra danios due to temp. requirements. How about rainbows? I heard that they can aggressive sometimes.