Endlers and Tetras

PaulThaAsian
Does anyone have Endlers and Tetras in a community tank? I have a 20 long and I'm looking to get more fish in there.

I currently have 3 endlers, sakura shrimp, and 3 nerites. I have a friend that wants to give me her pleco so I will have that in the future. I'm thinking of getting 3 or 4 more endlers and I want about 10-15 tetras. Probably closer to 10 since they will probably breed.

Fishproblem
PaulThaAsian said:
Does anyone have Endlers and Tetras in a community tank? I have a 20 long and I'm looking to get more fish in there.

I currently have 3 endlers, sakura shrimp, and 3 nerites. I have a friend that wants to give me her pleco so I will have that in the future. I'm thinking of getting 3 or 4 more endlers and I want about 10-15 tetras. Probably closer to 10 since they will probably breed.
A lot of this depends on the species of tetra. There's a lot of variation among them. A pleco in a 20 gallon is going to affect your stocking choices as well. What kind of pleco are you inheriting?

emeraldking
My tiger endlers are with neon tetras in a community tank.

John58ford
Depending on size/type a pleco might make up the bulk of what you can put in a 20(or larger tank honestly). That said, I had a tank for a 6-7 month period that was just male endlers and cardinal tetra. The endlers didn't seem to harass them much. I have seen the 2 stragglers in my schooling tank try to mate with a rummynose though.

I would probably say tetra are safe if you remember anything slightly larger than an endler male, and silver or gold, will look like a perfect mate to them. Due to that I have never tried one with my silvertips, though I imagine it would be hilarious

PaulThaAsian
Dwarf Bristle nose
Fishproblem said:
A lot of this depends on the species of tetra. There's a lot of variation among them. A pleco in a 20 gallon is going to affect your stocking choices as well. What kind of pleco are you inheriting?

PaulThaAsian
I'm looking at 10 rummy nose or 10 cardinal tetras with my 3 male endlers, 3 nerites, 8 sakura shrimp

bobduhgeek
Endlers are prolific breeders. It won't take long before you are overstocked in a 20gal. tank. Have you thought about adding species that might help keep the fry population down?

PaulThaAsian
bobduhgeek said:
Endlers are prolific breeders. It won't take long before you are overstocked in a 20gal. tank. Have you thought about adding species that might help keep the fry population down?
They will breed with tetras as well?

jake37
Endlers will not breed with tetra. When i was a kid we used to keep guppy with neon - it worked out well until my brother put toothpaste in the tank.
-
dwarf bristnose is fine. You could also consider some pygmy cory or otto cory if you want another school of fishes.
--
what temp is your tank. cardinal generally prefer warmer tanks while neon are more temperate.

PaulThaAsian said:
They will breed with tetras as well?

PaulThaAsian
jake37 said:
Endlers will not breed with tetra. When i was a kid we used to keep guppy with neon - it worked out well until my brother put toothpaste in the tank.
-
dwarf bristnose is fine. You could also consider some pygmy cory or otto cory if you want another school of fishes.
I'd like to get ottos but my gfs friend wants to get rid of her pleco so I agreed to take it off her hands.

Darn I was gonna go with crest after I put in the tetras. Maybe colgate is the answer...

I think I'm gonna go with tetras. The temp of my tank stays around 75-83

bobduhgeek
Male endlers will try to breed with everything, including reflections in the glass - but no, they can't cross breed with tetras. They might try, but nothing will come of it. Endlers can cross breed with guppies.

MacZ
PaulThaAsian said:
I'd like to get ottos but my gfs friend wants to get rid of her pleco so I agreed to take it off her hands.

Darn I was gonna go with crest after I put in the tetras. Maybe colgate is the answer...

I think I'm gonna go with tetras. The temp of my tank stays around 75-83
Unless you can get guaranteed tankbred Otos leave it. They are more trouble than necessary (They are among the most likely fish to die within days or weeks and there is a lot to keep in mind. And they can have nasty parasites).

jake37
I know we've had this discussion before but i strongly disagree. I don't know if it is a difference in our water or what but the last 20 or so i've purchased over the past 16 months 0 have died and they have been scattered purchases. I'm pretty sure they are wild but not 100% sure. Usually wild ones are adults and tank bred ones younger.

MacZ said:
Unless you can get guaranteed tankbred Otos leave it. They are more trouble than necessary (They are among the most likely fish to die within days or weeks and there is a lot to keep in mind. And they can have nasty parasites).

emeraldking
jake37
But wouldn't it be neat if they did. Think of all the funky new fishes you could create

emeraldking said:
Livebearers won't crossbreed with egg layers...

emeraldking
jake37 said:
But wouldn't it be neat if they did. Think of all the funky new fishes you could create
I would be neat indeed...
But even in a lab it hasn't happened yet. But artificial ferilization between 2 not compatible ovoviviparous livebearers does already occur in labs.

Latest threads

Top Bottom