endlers and guppy fry

1. m50 Member Member

endlercollector

Are these guppies an endler guppy x?

Mother was a guppy from p@h.

These are 1 month old fry, the 3 endlers are from same shop and unbred as yet.

Notice the main guppy in video has a black and red dot on body with red on top of body at tail end. Also has pale green and blue/purple on video but dont think it picked it up.

Towards end of video is 1 fry of same age that is half the size of the rest, about 3/4 the size of the endlers, its about 5/8 of an inch or 12-14mm. Any ideas why so small? We had one other the same size but euthenased it due to bent spine. Pretty sure it was deformed from birth as similar to other guppy deformities on google, tail end from behind dorsal bet up about 30 degrees.

http://youtu.be/srbJ1isNz0U

2. m50 Member Member

Ps the guppy that gave birth to these was pregnant when we got it and tgese are the fry it produced

3. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

That deep black spot is so cute! It is not possible to see the pale green and blue/purple unfortunately. While it is not impossible that this guppy has some Endler blood, the odds are just naturally higher that it has some other type of reticulata mixed in. Wild type Trinidadian a.k.a. feeder guppies are very similar in appearance and behavior to Endler's. They more often have the pale purple and pastel colors with black as opposed to the Reds/black/white/ greens of Endler's. And then there are the fancy guppies that have spots on the bodies, which they did get by crossing them with wild type reticulata and wingei, so it can get really complicated trying to figure out anything without a DNA test ;)
    As for the scoliosis, you are doing the right thing in culling. This fish that do not have that back are possibly carrying the gene, so by sticking with those you have some chance of reducing its occurrence in your population. It is possible to keep the hunchback if you are willing to sex it and keep it from breeding. Scoliosis actually does occur in the wild , and wild hunchbacks live and reproduce that without trouble. We just don't want them getting inbred in tanks. I have some Endler's with scoliosis, but they are in male and female only tanks.)
    As for the shrimpy fish, there is a wide range of normal as I always tell my daughter. it may be smaller because of a parent or grandparent who is a wild type reticulata or wingei. Or it may just be a shrimpy fish :) I have had that happen with both male and females with the largest males and the smallest females being approximately the same size!
    It is kind of like the breed standard that you will read for a purebred dog versus what you will actually find walking around. Over the years, I have rescued 4 Pomeranians, and they were all 3-4 times the breed standard for weight and overall size :p

4. m50 Member Member

Wow, thanks ill keep an eye on them all and try a digital camera, not camera phone to catch the true colours.

In day light I can see the colours the best but when I get a pic with tank light on the colours seem weaker. I dont know if our tube is wearing out, the.wrong colour spectrum or what, which is best? Cant make out lettering on tube but its about 18 inch long and 1 inch diameter. Think tube is 7ish years old maybe.

5. m50 Member Member

Ive looked at the video and the guppys purple and green appears at 1:25 in the video. Green patch just below its black dot, and purple from black dot down to tail.