endler with fin damage Question

Discussion in 'Endlers Livebearers' started by userdan06, Mar 22, 2010.

1. u

userdan06 Valued Member Member

hello, i stopped at a LFS today and they happened to have 2 endlers males. the owner had told me a few weeks ago that they only sell them when a customer brings in the offspring of his tank. he had just gotten about 15 yesterday, and had 2 left so i took them home with me.

well

one is missing a good amount of tail fin, i hadn't noticed since he was swimming around with a bunch of neon tetras, he seems healthy and happy in my 5 gallon quarantine tank. he swims fine, although a little slower.

Is there anything i can do to help speed up the regrowth process? He will be staying in the QT tank till his fin is healed.

I have added a 1/2 dose of stress coat and some aquarium salt to my quarantine tank so far. Are there any foods that will help speed up the process?

thanks
    dan

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Good clean water will do more for him right now than anything else :)
    The stress coat won't hurt and his food soaked in a little garlic juice will stimulate his immune system.
    Carol

3. Algae Eater

Algae Eater Well Known Member Member

I don't know what specific brands of fish food to use but try soaking what you've got in garlic juice (water, not oil), it is supposed to boost the fish's immune system.

EDIT: Haha.. Butterfly beat me to it! lol

4. OP
    OP
    u

wow. you two are scary fast! lol thanks for the quick reply, I'm just leaving to go to my night class, ill stop and pick up some fresh garlic and a small jar of minced garlic. I'll try the fresh first. juice them and soak the flakes in it.
    thanks
    dan

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

LOL we try to be there when you need us :)
    carol

6. OP
    OP
    u

well i soaked way to much food for just my quarantine tank, so i fed my main tank garlic soaked flake food too, they seemed to love it. i have never seen them eat so fast before. so i added a little extra flake food and they didn't want it. I hope they don't want garlic flavored food all the time lol

7. OP
    OP
    u

well today the endler is standing on his head... i know its not good, but what could it be? float bladder issue? maybe an infection or parasite?

the tank reads as follows, 5.5 gallon Quarantine tank,
    5-15 gallon aquatech filter with sponge over intake, and poly fiber fill to slow the outgoing current, 5-10 gallon heater(cant remember the brand).

Ph 7.4
    ammonia-0
    nitrite-0
    nitrate-less than 5

1 teaspoon of API aquarium salt was added yesterday am, no meds or anything else was added other than the 1/2 dose of stress coat on the 22nd, and garlic soaked flake food(omega one).

the other endler, purchased at the same time, is fine, darting in and out of the few plastic plants, acting healthy.

on hand all i have is aquarium salt, ick away, and melafix

thanks for any advise, the fish does dart away swimming in normal position but once it stops it just tips head down.

8. OP
    OP
    u

just got home from class, the endler is dead :'(

9. w

wonton55912 Valued Member Member

sorry for your loss

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice