endler tail gone!!

1. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

so my endlers tell is gone! i dont know how it could've happened. there's no fish in the tank able to do that, that i know of. i have CPDs, endlers, and some baby swordtails in there. i just did a water change but i messed up on it and dirt came out of the soil so now i dont know if there will be an ammonia spike or what. what do yall think on the dirt and the endler?

2. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Maybe he got stuck to the filter or it got ripped off on something?

3. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

i dont know. the filter is just an aquatech 5-15

4. nippybetta

I have occasionally seen one of my bettas get stuck to that, but she pulls herself right off and seems fine. I'm out of fresh ideas. How's the fish?

5. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Sounds like a possible case of tail rot to me. It happened to me when I was first starting out. One day there was a tail and the next it was literally gone. Maybe you did have an ammonia spike and it caused the tail rot. Unless it got cut of by a filter somehow I can not imagine what else it might be.

What are your parameter currently, how long have you possibly been having the ammonia spike?

6. nippybetta

Wow, that's fast fin rot! One of my angels had it, but it went slowly. Of course, endlers are teeny.

7. Legures

Legures Valued Member Member

Did the fin just randomly disappear at once?

If so, that doesn't really sound like fin rot unless you have really bad water parameters. Even in the worse conditions, fins shouldn't just disappear like that.
    My guess would be it got cut off by something. Do you have any sharp rocks, plastic plants or rough ornaments?

8. Wendy Lubianetsky

I have to disagree, only because my fish's tail literally did disappear overnight and it was tail rot.

9. Legures

Legures Valued Member Member

Hmm, then I take back what I said. :-X Maybe due to my lack of expertise in fin rot, I have only witnessed the less-severe types (thankfully) :giggle:

10. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

this is a very planted tank. i added 2 endlers and 2 nerite snails sunday. yesterday i realized i couldnt find the little endler. which is the main reason i did the water change today bc i thought he was dead, well after i stirred up a big amount of dirt(this is a dirt planted tank) i saw him with his tail gone. there are only live plants and round rocks. the only thing i can think of is that he got stuck to the filter but that seems a little out there to me. i tested last week( i dont know what day) and my nitrates were around 0. this tank has been cycled for at least 3 months, probably more.

11. Wendy Lubianetsky

If your tank is cycled, then it doesn't seem like it would be tail rot.