Endler or other?

Jaymann

Anyone know what fish this is? Have had it for 6 months, came from a community tank. I ask because it gets a lot of attention from the male guppies and endlers but is never pregnant... just grows longer and longer in length. Other fish from the same batch (4 mollies, 4 platies, 4 guppies) are either pregnant or had fry. Keen to find this one a mate.

emeraldking

Hi,

I've just taken a peek at this specimen. The analfin is pointy edged and not rounded. This could be a late male or (and most likely a male that won't develop a functional gonopodium). If so, the fish will only become bigger in size with hardly some color or even none. There's no gravid spot (translucent part of the skin that can darken when embryo development will take place) to be seen. I don't think it's a female. Don't let youself be fooled by the V-shape of the analfin. It's pointy at the end and not slightly rounded. Otherwise, I wouldn't make this remark.
Wether it's a guppy or endler is hard to tell. That males might chase this specimen is only because of the female-like appearence.

Jaymann

Thank you Emeraldking for your quick analysis. Have to admit the v-shaped analfin did have me fooled - but then again I am not convinced the fish is a male let alone an endler. Here's another photo of it next to an endler and a guppy... looks nothing like the other two.
Still I'll keep watching and, if anything changes, i'll report back.

emeraldking

A very late guppy or endler male or a guppy or endler male that won't developed a real gonopodium will look different than his male siblings. Firstly, they have a more female bodyshape. Secondly, the colors or pattern what a male of the same strain should have are missing out on such a male or they're slightly present on the body.

Jaymann

Okay - so are you saying I can expect there to be further developments or changes further down the line or the die is pretty much cast and this fish is never going to mate let alone reproduce? How common is this stuff? Your advice is very much appreciated.
Tricky but I've managed to get another photo of the trio so you can see what they actually look like

emeraldking

Jaymann said:
Okay - so are you saying I can expect there to be further developments or changes further down the line or the die is pretty much cast and this fish is never going to mate let alone reproduce? How common is this stuff? Your advice is very much appreciated.
Tricky but I've managed to get another photo of the trio so you can see what they actually look like
If the tip of the analfin remains pointy and not slightly rounded, it's an inital male. The question is more, is this a late male or a male that won't develop a normal gonopodium?

IMG_7236.JPG

Above: This is also a male that is oversized and is lacking color. This male is already an adult but hasn't developed a gonopodium ever. His analfin is V-shaped but a bit pointy at the tip. Such males are not rare. They do occur from time to time. But you can not breed with such males.

IMG_1204.JPG

This is a very late male. He's big but still having this bodyshape of a female. He's also not blue enough as he should be. He's already 6 months. The dorsal hasn't grown. Until now, he's still hasn't got a full developed gonopodium. Also this male is not suitable for any mating.
Males described as above can not reproduce. And again, such males do occur from time to time. Bodyshape wise they'll look like females. But won't have a gravid spot.

Jaymann

Thank you Emeraldking... Much appreciated.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom