Endler looking a little bloated--how to catch the darn thing

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Colorado, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Colorado

Colorado Valued Member Member

So I've got 4 little Endlers in a 56 gallon. It's a new tank so there are plants, but just the 4 fish. One's looking a little pale and I think a little distended. I'm very new to the hobby so I don't have much to compare it to. I've got a small quarantine tank all set up, but I can't catch the fish.

So, oh gurus of the aquarium, what are your tips and tricks for catching a 3/4 of inch fish in 56 gallons of water without uprooting every plant or scaring all the fish to death. I tried to catch this guy for 30 minutes and stopped because I thought that I would stress him to death even if he isn't already sick.

Suggestions? At this point, I think I'd have more luck just whistling and seeing if he turns himself in.

thanks!!

2. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

First off did you do the nitrogen cycle? If not that's your answer also what are your water conditions so if you want to get another fish you don't want the same issue. Finally I had the issue of catching 3 centimeter fish in a heavily planted 20 gallon I had to dip every plant in my path to get him. But if you don't want to go through the trouble of ripping all the plants out of your tank check the water it may be ammonia then they sell things to treat it and then your fish should be all better.

3. OP
    OP
    Colorado

The numbers are all fine. I am doing a fish-in cycle, but I check constantly. I'm actually waiting to put in the Tetra Safestart because the numbers are still 0 and I don't think the bacteria would even have anything to feed off of. The bioload of the Endlers is so small in that tank. And I just did a PWC with Prime. Would ammonia cause bloating?

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

Follow the instructions on the bottle. To the letter. However, 4 endlers in a 50 gallon with plants - you shouldn't have to even use the TSS. The plants should handle the bioload.

5. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I have to agree with Jaysee here, I highly doubt the levels would ever have a chance to climb high enough to cause any distress/injury. Its just ALOT of water to dilute very little waste and essentially the bb colony has time to build at its leisure.

6. Jaysee

I think for such a situation, I would be worried that the plants will outcompete the bacteria. BUT, plants are part of the filtration system, and the bacteria will colonize the surfaces - in the end they will find a happy balance.

7. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Agreed, as long as there is no sudden large increase in bio load all should be well.

8. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

does the fish still eat? I had to catch a fish that was sick and I lured her with food :)

9. OP
    OP
    Colorado

I guess part of the question is, given how hard it is to catch a fish in a moderately plated tank--and that I plan on having 30 or 40 small fish eventually--do you actually try to treat a single fish in a QT or do you just treat the whole tank and reserve the QT for new additions. What is common practice? I can probably eventually catch this one, but I can't imagine catching a single fish once there are several dozen.

10. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

In my opinion QT new additions and treat for parasites just in case (people may disagree with me on this). As for sick fish in the tank it would depend on what they have if it somthing that spreads I treat the whole tank just in case others are not yet sowing symptoms. If if is something that is only likely to affect one fish I would treat that fish separately in the QT.

11. Jaysee

I don't know how people can catch fish in heavily planted tanks.

In my experience how difficult it is to catch a fish is directly related to its health. If a fish is unaware it's being netted, I cull it.

12. OP
    OP
    Colorado

Well, given how fast this guy is, maybe he isn't that sick. :)

13. OP
    OP
    Colorado

What do you use for this kind of prophylactic treatment of new fish?

14. Jaysee

I treat all new fish for parasites while in quarantine. They get a 2 week heat treatment for ich and then a prazipro treatment. This won't take care of every kind of parasite, but many.

15. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

My Endlers gladly swim in to the net for me :)

You could try netting him during feeding time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice