Endler live bearer

Stevensos2394

Member
Does anyone know how to tell if endlers are happy ? And how to keep them happy ? Also I had a random white powdery like film randomly appear on the walls of my aquarium . PLEASE HELP
 

John58ford

Member
Welcome to FL.

I'm not familiar with the version of endler you have in there but I keep a few varieties. You will notice the pupils of their eyes be smaller when they are content and larger when they are upset/excited. The color on the body will be brighter when they are happy as well.

I don't know what that white steak stuff is, I'll tag along with you to see if anyone had seen it before. It looks like it comes from the filter in the pictures, is that what it seems like to you too?
 
  • Thread Starter

Stevensos2394

Member
I’m honestly n
John58ford said:
Welcome to FL.

I'm not familiar with the version of endler you have in there but I keep a few varieties. You will notice the pupils of their eyes be smaller when they are content and larger when they are upset/excited. The color on the body will be brighter when they are happy as well.

I don't know what that white steak stuff is, I'll tag along with you to see if anyone had seen it before. It looks like it comes from the filter in the pictures, is that what it seems like to you too?
John58ford said:
Welcome to FL.

I'm not familiar with the version of endler you have in there but I keep a few varieties. You will notice the pupils of their eyes be smaller when they are content and larger when they are upset/excited. The color on the body will be brighter when they are happy as well.

I don't know what that white steak stuff is, I'll tag along with you to see if anyone had seen it before. It looks like it comes from the filter in the pictures, is that what it seems like to you too?
im honestly not sure. I’ve used the tank before and have never seen that. And the colors seem to be normal as well
 

John58ford

Member
You asked me for advice about endlers on my profile, I tend to over explain but I'm all about observations and share what I know so here ya go.

The things I have observed:
They like horizontal swimming space.
They handle crowding well if you separate males and females. I keep a fraternity of them separate from my female breeding stock.
They can handle much softer water than many claim as long as you have some calcium in there.
Use vertical decor or tall plants to divide space and reduce aggression, use short dense plants to give them a place to calm down individually.

Keep one tank for males, one tank for females, one tank to identify the sex of any fry and breed only specific males with specific females. Females can store sperm for a long time (6 months+) so one female mated with a male for one week can give you a drop of fry every 25-35 days for at least 6 months. If you try to keep them all that's 7-20 fry per month, so up to 120 (more likely 75) new fish within 6 months from one pair. Have a plan of you decide to do that.

Practice good bio security and quarantine. Endlers are so small there's not allot of warning with internal parasites or worms before they die so I keep levamisol, praziquantel, and metronidazole handy just in case, and use as soon as I have a suspicion.

Last advice; I don't know everything and there's always someone, somewhere that knows more about something. Don't be afraid to try to find those people. There are "gurus" on this forum, I'm far from, but even they learn something sometimes. Read, research, learn. Merckvet, ncbi, and other sources exist as well.
 
  • Thread Starter

Stevensos2394

Member
Stevensos2394 said:
I’m honestly n


im honestly not sure. I’ve used the tank before and have never seen that. And the colors seem to be normal as well
John58ford said:
You asked me for advice about endlers on my profile, I tend to over explain but I'm all about observations and share what I know so here ya go.

The things I have observed:
They like horizontal swimming space.
They handle crowding well if you separate males and females. I keep a fraternity of them separate from my female breeding stock.
They can handle much softer water than many claim as long as you have some calcium in there.
Use vertical decor or tall plants to divide space and reduce aggression, use short dense plants to give them a place to calm down individually.

Keep one tank for males, one tank for females, one tank to identify the sex of any fry and breed only specific males with specific females. Females can store sperm for a long time (6 months+) so one female mated with a male for one week can give you a drop of fry every 25-35 days for at least 6 months. If you try to keep them all that's 7-20 fry per month, so up to 120 (more likely 75) new fish within 6 months from one pair. Have a plan of you decide to do that.

Practice good bio security and quarantine. Endlers are so small there's not allot of warning with internal parasites or worms before they die so I keep levamisol, praziquantel, and metronidazole handy just in case, and use as soon as I have a suspicion.

Last advice; I don't know everything and there's always someone, somewhere that knows more about something. Don't be afraid to try to find those people. There are "gurus" on this forum, I'm far from, but even they learn something sometimes. Read, research, learn. Merckvet, ncbi, and other sources exist as well.
thank you so much for all the great info!! Why do you think they are sitting towards the top like that ? I’m going to get an airstone tomorrow morning think
 
  • Thread Starter

Stevensos2394

Member
John58ford said:
You asked me for advice about endlers on my profile, I tend to over explain but I'm all about observations and share what I know so here ya go.

The things I have observed:
They like horizontal swimming space.
They handle crowding well if you separate males and females. I keep a fraternity of them separate from my female breeding stock.
They can handle much softer water than many claim as long as you have some calcium in there.
Use vertical decor or tall plants to divide space and reduce aggression, use short dense plants to give them a place to calm down individually.

Keep one tank for males, one tank for females, one tank to identify the sex of any fry and breed only specific males with specific females. Females can store sperm for a long time (6 months+) so one female mated with a male for one week can give you a drop of fry every 25-35 days for at least 6 months. If you try to keep them all that's 7-20 fry per month, so up to 120 (more likely 75) new fish within 6 months from one pair. Have a plan of you decide to do that.

Practice good bio security and quarantine. Endlers are so small there's not allot of warning with internal parasites or worms before they die so I keep levamisol, praziquantel, and metronidazole handy just in case, and use as soon as I have a suspicion.

Last advice; I don't know everything and there's always someone, somewhere that knows more about something. Don't be afraid to try to find those people. There are "gurus" on this forum, I'm far from, but even they learn something sometimes. Read, research, learn. Merckvet, ncbi, and other sources exist as well.
I added an air stone and the behavior is back to normal, I guess the filter that came with the tank is to weak, I also read my moss ball is getting to much light which may have caused the white on the tank walls
 

emeraldking

Member
John58ford said:
Last advice; I don't know everything and there's always someone, somewhere that knows more about something. Don't be afraid to try to find those people. There are "gurus" on this forum, I'm far from, but even they learn something sometimes. Read, research, learn. Merckvet, ncbi, and other sources exist as well.
True, even well experienced fish keepers still learn every single day.... I'm not an exception either...
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom