Endler? Guppy? Hybrid? Male or Female?

Addictedtobettas

These 3 el tigre labeled endlers came together as the same size and age. I also have 4 blue endlers that I’m incredibly confused on one about. How often do the males take on female characteristics? To change in size, color, behavior?

MissNoodle

emeraldking

emeraldking

In not any picture I see an El tigre endler. The three in the back in picture 1 do show black bar markings. They look like hybrids. The black bar marking on both sides are related to the black bar endler which originates from the Cumana region while El tigre endlers come from the Campoma region.

The bigger male in front seems a late male. Late mals do tend to show the female bodyshape for a long time and grow up large. It´s also quite normal with late male endelrs and guppies to have a faded coloration in comparison to their male siblings. Late males with a faded coloration will hardly mate with a female.

Here´s a picture of how actual El tigre endler males should look like:

Yours look quite different from these. The El tigre is also the smallest wild version of an endler and they have very small batches of fry (1-5 and some exceptions of 10 fry). This is why breeders ask more for these fish because the lack of availability.
If the one you've got these endlers from told you that yours are El tigre endlers, it's obvious that this person doesn't know what he/she is talking about. Or deliberately gave the wrong name to these fish.

From the pictures I also think that your males are pretty skinny.

Addictedtobettas

emeraldking said:
In not any picture I see an El tigre endler. The three in the back in picture 1 do show black bar markings. They look like hybrids. The black bar marking on both sides are related to the black bar endler which originates from the Cumana region while El tigre endlers come from the Campoma region.

The bigger male in front seems a late male. Late mals do tend to show the female bodyshape for a long time and grow up large. It´s also quite normal with late male endelrs and guppies to have a faded coloration in comparison to their male siblings. Late males with a faded coloration will hardly mate with a female.

Here´s a picture of how actual El tigre endler males should look like:

Yours look quite different from these. The El tigre is also the smallest wild version of an endler and they have very small batches of fry (1-5 and some exceptions of 10 fry). This is why breeders ask more for these fish because the lack of availability.
If the one you've got these endlers from told you that yours are El tigre endlers, it's obvious that this person doesn't know what he/she is talking about. Or deliberately gave the wrong name to these fish.

From the pictures I also think that your males are pretty skinny.
Wonderful information, thank you. They were the only endlers left in the tank and that’s what their folks had labeled them as. I got them for free so I didn’t bicker much.
Supposedly a knowledgeable lfs several counties over but I’ve had my doubts. Labeling females as males, not know plant ids, etc.
I’ll separate the angel piggy and make sure they get plenty of food.

emeraldking

Well, maybe you should give them some notice about the wrong labeling.
I do keep and breed El tigre endlers. So, immediately I saw the difference between an original El tigre endler and your males. But wrong labeling happens overhere at several stores as well. In general it starts with the wrong labeling at the wholesaler. Most retailers just copy the name which has been provided by a wholesaler.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom