endler giving birth! Help

Discussion in 'Endlers Livebearers' started by userdan06, Apr 7, 2010.

1. u

userdan06 Valued Member Member

one of my 2 female enders has started giving birth, i caught her quick and put her in the breeder box, she has finished giving birth to the first fry which is swimming happily. is there anything i should do?

i turned the filter off so there isnt much current to blow the little guys around. is there anything else i should do?
    thanks
    dan

2. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

You should actually probably keep the filter on as the little fry's immune systems aren't at their best right now. But just enjoy them! You can feed them finely crushed flakes or baby brine shrimp. Other than that just keep up with your water changes to make sure your little guys have good water conditions and then in about 28 days you should have more fry :)

3. OP
    OP
    u

i think i will have more fry within the next 2-3 days. my 2nd female is about ready to drop too :)
    thanks, i just stuffed some extra filter media in the filter to slow the current down some.

4. e_watson09

what tank do you have them in? It may be time to get another tank as a grow out tank for the babies

5. OP
    OP
    u

they are currently living in my 20g tank, haven't updated my tank info in a little while. i do have a 5.5 filled and ready for the fry once the mothers are finished giving birth. the filter inserts have been in my 20g filter for about a month so they should be fine to move in without any real cycle

i have a 10g that i picked up about 2 weeks ago, the media for that tanks filter has also been in the 20g for the 2 weeks. that will be my grow out tank i think.

My LFS will take the fry at 3-4 weeks, as long as they are showing some color so they can be sexed. i will probably wait a little longer but i wont be keeping any fry unless i find some that start to show interesting colors

6. e_watson09

Be careful if they're not pretty colors they'll probably turn into feeders unfortunatly.

7. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

Congrats on the fry!!! You may want to put a sponge on the input of the filter to keep them from being sucked up.

8. OP
    OP
    u

well i just got back from class, and there is only 2 fry... she is still fat as can be. does it take a while sometimes?

9. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

It will take them awhile to get their colors :)
    I usually leave my fry in with the parents. If you have plenty of plants or hiding places they will survive and eat crushed flake soon after birth.
    Carol

10. OP
    OP
    u

hmm.. well as of this morning there are still only two fry... could that be it? i thought they breed like guppies. she is still fat, but hasn't dropped another fry in about 15 hours.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice