Endler Fry Has Belly "fringe" Help

1. Lacey D

Lacey D Valued Member Member

I had another round of endler fry born yesterday. As I was watching them last night, one has a strange yellow fringe on its belly. It is very hard to really see (I mean, they're only about 1cm total length). I isolated it and tried to take photos, as much to get a clearer look as to share. I pretty much failed, but here is what I have. The yellow spot below the normal belly is what I'm referring to, and when viewed by the naked eye it seems a little jagged.

Could this be the remains of an external egg sac? I thought about keeping the little one separated for observation, but it was very stressed so I added it back to the main aquarium. It's swimming fine (AND FAST), and the "fringe" was still there this morning. I'm willing to just wait and see with this, but I was just wondering if someone had seen this before. At first I was worried it was a perforation in the abdominal wall, but I couldn't see it clearly enough to determine that. Where's my microscope when I need it! (Oh yah, at work). 00011IMG_00011_BURST20180614203702[1].jpg
    IMG_20180614_203247[1].jpg

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Hubby can’t see anything even with his magnifying glass. Says there a glare? Anyway, if it’s eating and swimming with no trouble, just keep a close eye on it. Keep us updated? Please?

3. OP
    OP
    Lacey D

Lacey D Valued Member Member

Baby is still there, and growing along with the rest. As it grows, I'm seeing that the "fringe" is it's ventral fins which are sticking out at a weird angle because of whatever that yellow bulge was (unabsorbed yolk sac?). The yellow bulge has gone down a lot, but still isn't quite gone. SO my current working hypothesis is that it was born a tiny bit premature...but is keeping up with the rest regardless.

4. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Eating, growing, swimming. Perfect. Thank you for the update. :)