Endler Fry Has Belly "fringe" Help

1. Lacey D

Lacey D Well Known Member Member

I had another round of endler fry born yesterday. As I was watching them last night, one has a strange yellow fringe on its belly. It is very hard to really see (I mean, they're only about 1cm total length). I isolated it and tried to take photos, as much to get a clearer look as to share. I pretty much failed, but here is what I have. The yellow spot below the normal belly is what I'm referring to, and when viewed by the naked eye it seems a little jagged.

Could this be the remains of an external egg sac? I thought about keeping the little one separated for observation, but it was very stressed so I added it back to the main aquarium. It's swimming fine (AND FAST), and the "fringe" was still there this morning. I'm willing to just wait and see with this, but I was just wondering if someone had seen this before. At first I was worried it was a perforation in the abdominal wall, but I couldn't see it clearly enough to determine that. Where's my microscope when I need it! (Oh yah, at work). 00011IMG_00011_BURST20180614203702[1].jpg
    IMG_20180614_203247[1].jpg

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Hubby can’t see anything even with his magnifying glass. Says there a glare? Anyway, if it’s eating and swimming with no trouble, just keep a close eye on it. Keep us updated? Please?

3. OP
    OP
    Lacey D

Baby is still there, and growing along with the rest. As it grows, I'm seeing that the "fringe" is it's ventral fins which are sticking out at a weird angle because of whatever that yellow bulge was (unabsorbed yolk sac?). The yellow bulge has gone down a lot, but still isn't quite gone. SO my current working hypothesis is that it was born a tiny bit premature...but is keeping up with the rest regardless.

4. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Eating, growing, swimming. Perfect. Thank you for the update. :)

5. OP
    OP
    Lacey D

FryHernia1_LI.jpg
    The fry is still around, and about a month old. As he grows larger and starts to develop his adult colors, I am now convinced that this is actually a hernia from an abdominal cavity which never fused. He is as large and as active as all the rest of the fish, happy, feeding and growing. I will never breed him (don't believe he COULD since this bulge would probably get in the way), but his survival is a testament to the hardiness and wonder that are endler. The amazing thing is that none of the other fish pick at him at all--my experience with fancy guppies was that they would nip at pretty much anything odd on another fish, but these lovely fish are so peaceful! If this was a large fish, like a betta or goldfish, I would consider one day attempting to suture his hernia shut..but at his upper size he will be an inch long--to small for my eyes, my fingers or tools, and my needles :/

I will update again if he takes a turn for the worse, but for now I will add this to the list of birth defects endler can have...and potentially survive.