Endler Fry All Female

1. Surge Davidson

Surge Davidson New Member Member

So I've had an endler (hybrid) tank going for a few months now, and they're breeding a lot as you'd expect. However, I have yet to see a single male fry, and there are probably at least 40 of them at the moment. I'm gonna give them to my LFS as soon as they're big enough, but I'll probably have to cull plenty still since there's not so much demand for females. These fry have come from 3 or 4 different mothers, several batches each. Any ideas why the male/female ratio would be so off? Is there anything I can do about it?

2. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

That's pretty interesting... I've heard I'm some cases if the water is too warm some fishes eggs will be dominantly one gender. I've never heard this happen in fish though

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

To start with all of them look like females, as they get older some turn into males.

If they are definitely all females then it is because your water is cool. In very warm water you get many more males. It might have got those mixed up though and it might be the other way around.

4. OP
    OP
    Surge Davidson

I know that they start off looking like females, but I'm just basing this off the ones that have grown enough to accurately sex. The weird thing is that the water is at about 80, so I know it's not the water being too cool. I might try lowering the temp and see if that makes a difference, but I don't know since that's the reverse of what you're saying.

5. OP
    OP
    Surge Davidson

Whoops, I should learn to read, somehow I skipped over you saying that you may have had it backwards haha. Well either way I'll turn it down lol.