Endler fin nipping or fin rot?

B3TT45

I hate to be that person to post this probably the millionth time but I’m just stumped after researching and watching my fish like a hawk.

I have 3 male endlers livebearers currently in my 29 gal with neocaridina shrimp and nerite snails as the only current inhabitants. They are in a “quarantine” process since they are the first fish inhabitants to be added, so I’ve been closely watching them for any signs of disease. They’ve been a bit aggressive with each other, but I have no idea if this is normal endlers behavior (chasing, display dancing, occasional square offs)

I noticed that all 3 of them would flash on occasion (each of them at least once daily) and 1 of the endlers seemed uninterested in food so I decided to doze prazipro. It hasn’t finished its course yet but the only one I see currently flashing is my black endler, the one with some questionable fins. The endler that refused food is eating now, I suspect he was just picky. The fish didn’t have any other symptoms, no gill redness, visible worms, lethargy, ich, sunken belly, nothing.

I have no clue whether this has been an ongoing thing that I have only noticed now or if it started today. I noticed today that a part of his tail fin is jagged, with rays sticking out. Seems like a stereotypical picture of fin rot. But there’s no other symptoms besides the occasional flashing.
He’s eating like a pig, chasing and dancing the other endlers to his heart content, sometimes squaring off, no fin clamping, and has vibrant colors.

I’m attaching the best pictures I could get, he won’t stay still for even a second. I don’t notice any fuzz or redness at the ends of his fin, but I do see maybe a tiny tiny bit of white it I look closely.

I should mention that the middle part of his tail that looks like a hole is actually in tact and transparent, likely from some previous damage or prior fin rot. He came like that.
——————
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? Planted 29 gal
How long has the tank been running? 1 month and a half
Does it have a filter? Yes, 2 of them
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 3 male endlers, 5 neocaridina shrimp, 2 nerite snails

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once every 2 weeks
How much of the water do you change? 30-50%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Sort of

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? APIcmaster kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-5
pH: 6.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once a day, skipping once a week
How much do you feed your fish? Enough for them to eat in 2 minutes
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hikari fancy guppy food
Do you feed frozen? I’m buying blood worms soon
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 2 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Read post
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Not for this, but I’m doing prazipro for flashing
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Not that I know of, but he did have the healing tail
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Nothing new, he just has the flashing but that was before I noticed his tail

BigManAquatics

Treatment is pretty much the same. Small, frequent water changes, maybe some stress coat to help them heal. Though if from nipping, may have to keep doing it.

B3TT45

Treatment is pretty much the same. Small, frequent water changes, maybe some stress coat to help them heal. Though if from nipping, may have to keep doing it.
You wouldn’t recommend any medications or salt? Also, what does it seem like to you - fin rot or nipping?

BigManAquatics

Looks like maybe nipping that hasn't turned to rot yet. Clean water will help prevent the infection. Thats usually all i do, has worked 100% of the time for me.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AP1
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishGirl115
Replies
Views
GoldfishExxpert
Replies
Views
BettaCyrus
Replies
Views
Aquariumlover1357

Random Great Thread!

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore

New Fish Disease Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom