Endler Female?

upinak

I got a bunch of endlers at my lfs guys, who told me they rarely ever get females in. So I notice this one.

Now I’m not saying I don’t notice my little flirty men of color, but this one looks chubby and I haven’t fed them yet. I also have a small guppy which is pregnant so I’ve been keeping an eye on her.

Any help appreciated.

SM1199

Quite honestly looks like a male to me. I see the little chubbiness you're talking about, but it's towards the front rather than towards what would be the gravid spot, and my male endler/guppy hybrids always look like this just from munching on algae and whatnot in the tank. The color and lack of gravid spot also tells me it's definitely a male.

richiep

Looking at the tail as well you can see the bottom starting to push out, I noticed the colour change and tail in my young endlers and they turned into males just like your picture

upinak

Thanks. I see the sheath but he is so much bigger than my others. Might be a hybred? He barely has any color compared to my other endlers, which why I asked if possible it might have been female.

richiep

With mine it took quite some time after being born for the transformation

SM1199

upinak said:
Thanks. I see the sheath but he is so much bigger than my others. Might be a hybred? He barely has any color compared to my other endlers, which why I asked if possible it might have been female.
My first response to seeing him was, "this looks like a feeder guppy." I think you might have accidentally taken home a feeder guppy who jumped into the endler tank for a chance at a better life

upinak

SM1199 said:
My first response to seeing him was, "this looks like a feeder guppy." I think you might have accidentally taken home a feeder guppy who jumped into the endler tank for a chance at a better life
Ha! Not my lfs guys. They would freak if it was a feeder. Just odd that I have all these really pretty endlers and then I have that one... the chubby dude.

Yale Kim

its a male and you can tell by its gnopodium

emeraldking

It's a male and definitely not an endler...
It's a wildtype guppy and quite often used as a feeder guppy. The two small spots/dots (on the abdomen and caudal penducle) are guppy traits. In case of a pure endler, it depends on the strain whether a monocle or peacock is shown on its body but not to be compared with these dots as been shown in picture#2.

I do keep and breed endlers and guppies. In both cases I keep and breed both wild and fancy strains. Yours is most likely not a wildguppy but a wildtype guppy. If you mix all kinds of fancy guppies in one tank and they'll cross, there's a small percentage of male offspring that can revert to wild phenotypes. This can also happen after a couple of generations of mixing.

But no way that the male shown above is an endler...

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom