Endler Boys In The Filter Again: I Should've Known Better...

1. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Yep, once again, I had Endler boys jumping into a filter in search of girls. I should've known better after my last experience a few years ago. Anyhoo, I decided to throw a few boys into an Evolve 8 I've set up as a Walstad because I haven't been able to figure out what to keep in there (it's basically a toilet bowl). Well, first one guy disappeared, and I couldn't find his remains anywhere. Then the propeller clogged up, and after I cleared it, 2 more disappeared. This time, I could see 1 swimming around in the filter, but he kept hiding in the space under the filter cartridge compartment (annoying design). I had to empty the tank and then bail out the filter a 1/4 cup at a time before I was able to tilt it to one side and grab him. Now, he and the 1 guy who didn't jump are in a mixed tank. As soon as they saw those girls, they went to work, doing that silly backwards dance of theirs.

2. toolman Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear about your losses. Love my endlers, are yours hybrids?

I have 5 males, that were added to the lfs order one week, in a 10gallon.

Starting a 40breeder this weekend for my grandchildren :wink:wink:, gonna be endlers, pygmy cory's, and mystery snails.

3. emeraldking Member Member

Not so amusing when you loose endlers like that. Hope that the one guy left will do his best with the ladies.

4. bgclarke Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear you've lost some of your endlers. I've only lost amano shrimp due to that type of misadventure.

I've got 7 male Endlers in a 10 gallon.
    They've been well behaved so far, although they are very picky eaters.
    The tank has an internal filter.
    The impeller etc are well protected.

5. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

What are you feeding them? I've had trouble feeding boys in all male tanks. They spend so much time flirting and harassing each other. They definitely eat better when there are girls as their nearly continual search for food helps steer the boys to it.

6. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I have some N class and also some hybrids together. I didn't mean to mix them, but I had to downsize and wound up with some hybrids from a source who had thought they were pure. I'd driven so far that I just went ahead and accepted them. Sigh. I'll sort things out eventually.

Ooh, a 40 breeder for the kids--that will be fun for all! Post some pics when you're ready :)

7. toolman Well Known Member Member

Will do in the process of setting up now, hope to get it finished Sunday.

I have 4 hybrid males, although they look pure. Still debating going n-class or hybrid.

8. bgclarke Well Known Member Member

I had been feeding them Hikari Micro Pellets, NLS Flakes and Aqueon flakes.
    They showed some interest in Omega One veggie rounds when I first got them, but have since ignored them.

They go nuts for frozen bloodworm and frozen brine shrimp.

I talked with the fish room guy yesterday and based on what he said I bought some Cobalt Mysis Spirulina flakes.

They went nuts for that.