end of cycle help!

1. L

Lindy New Member Member

I have finally got 0ppm nitrite and 20ppm nitrate after a very long cycle of almost 2 months but my ammonia is still reading .25-.50 ppm ! What should I do? is this normal ? My tap water also has .25 ppm ammonia so will I always have it in the tank?

29 gallon tank
    10-30i whisper filter
    5 cherry barbs
    5 black skirt tetras
    temp 75

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Adam55

Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Ammonia in your tap should be processed by your bacteria just like ammonia in your tank would. So yes, you'll always be adding it when you do water changes, but Prime should bind it while your bacteria consumes it. And just so you know, ammonia is not removed by Prime. It's held in a non-toxic state while your bacteria does its thing, so it'll still show up when you test your water.

3. OP
    OP
    L

Lindy New Member Member

so this is normal? would i be able to add three more fish? I'm wanting to get some cory cats....

Also it's been 48 hrs since the last pwc so nothing has been added since then. I would think there should be 0 reading for both ammonia and nitrite if it's cycled but I've never had 0 for ammonia...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Fishh

Fishh Valued Member Member

Youre fine. Everything sounds normal.

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

It sounds like you cycled with fish. So if you were doing daily partial water changes, then you were adding ammonia to the tank with each water change. But now that you have gotten thru the nitrite phase, you will no longer be doing daily water changes, so this should give you bacteria a chance to zero out the ammonia in your tap water.

6. OP
    OP
    L

Lindy New Member Member

This make perfect sense! I will check it again tomorrow and see where i'm at then! Thanks so much!!

7. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

I have ammonia in my tap too. What I would do is test my parameters 24 hours after the last WC and see what they are. If ammonia is gone you are cycled. If it is still there wait another 24 hours and test again. Then when the ammonia is all gone and the nitrites that were created from the ammonia turn into nitrates you know you are cycled. You have to be super careful with the tank and cycle, though. I wouldn't add more fish for at least a week and a half to give the bacteria time to establish even more. They've just grown enough for the bioload of your current fish so you don't won't to overwhelm it and create a mini cycle or even worse hurt the cycle.
    I hope you are cycled. :)
    I have to start cycling my 20g because I just picked up fishies today and I'm not looking forward to the cycling process. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum