Encouraging algae growth?

BettaLover89

Hey y'all! I have a question, I have a 20 gallon high betta tank with two nerite snails and a few amano shrimp. My tank is incredibly clean but I want to encourage a slight algae growth to help better feed them. Any ideas that won't turn my tank green overnight? T.I.A.

PurpleReign19

BettaLover89 said:
Hey y'all! I have a question, I have a 20 gallon high betta tank with two nerite snails and a few amano shrimp. My tank is incredibly clean but I want to encourage a slight algae growth to help better feed them. Any ideas that won't turn my tank green overnight? T.I.A.
I have the same problem in my 5 gallon. Ramshorn snails keep it spotless and I want my mystery to have something to eat. I have to give him algae wafers every other day to keep him full. I guess its a pretty good problem to have tho

Betta'sAnonymous

Increase light time. Also i have seen where people will put some rocks in tank water in a seperate container and set it out in the sun for a few days to get some algae on the rocks, then do the same with another set of rocks when the first set is in the tank. That way you can cycle through the rocks and always have some algae in the tank.

BettaLover89

FreshwaterFins99 said:
I have the same problem in my 5 gallon. Ramshorn snails keep it spotless and I want my mystery to have something to eat. I have to give him algae wafers every other day to keep him full. I guess its a pretty good problem to have tho
Yo for real lol. I have two black racer nerite snails and they're soooooo fast and clean like crazy. With them and my 4 amano shrimp my tank is crystal clean lol. I have tried using algae wafers, but it's a pain because my betta always wants to eat them as well and he scares away my snails and amano shrimp from the algae wafers, EVEN at night. It's a pain lol.
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Also i have seen where people will put some rocks in tank water in a seperate container and set it out in the sun for a few days to get some algae on the rocks, then do the same with another set of rocks when the first set is in the tank.
I had no idea this was even a thing?! That is such a smart idea I will be doing that today! Thank you for your reply

goldfishmama61

I would dose your tank with plant fertilizer but I’m no expert

Donovan Jones

Dosing can actually inhibit algae. Algae is a result of an imbalance. U need excess light usually and excess of a few key nutrients that plants can't utilize since there's not enough of others. I think phosphorus encourages some and nitrogen others. Ammonia encourages green water. Personally I'd love to try to make an algae tank with some simple plants like stonewort

Latest threads

Top Bottom