Encourage longer root growth with floating plants

Crimson_687

I have duckweed, amazon frogbit, and red root floater. So far the duckweed has multiplied a ton, majority of the frogbits have another plant growing on them, and the red root floater have increased in size greatly. The frogbit has the longest roots, but they don’t grow dense or consistent. The duckweed and red root floater both have very shoot roots. What’s the best way to encourage long, dense, consistent root growth?

Demeter

You can trim the longest roots on frogbit for more dense growth. I've also noticed that after using Seachem Advance regularly my frogbit became much more dense. Duck weed will never have extensive roots, maybe one or two per plant and that's it. Look into water spangles, their relatively short roots are often very dense.

I should also mention that proper dosing of liquid ferts helps tremendously, as does good lighting. My frogbit in a certain tank just never took off until I started using Seachem products.

Upvote 0

Crimson_687

You can trim the longest roots on frogbit for more dense growth. I've also noticed that after using Seachem Advance regularly my frogbit became much more dense. Duck weed will never have extensive roots, maybe one or two per plant and that's it. Look into water spangles, their relatively short roots are often very dense.

I should also mention that proper dosing of liquid ferts helps tremendously, as does good lighting. My frogbit in a certain tank just never took off until I started using Seachem products.
I use seachem flourish. As for lighting, since my lighting is attached to my hood it’s very inconsistent

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
dMog
Replies
Views
devsi
Replies
Views
awilkinson871