Enamored newbie

Magtom

Hi everyone,
I’m new and in love with fishkeeping. Definitely made most of the newbie mistakes, but soldiering on and my 10 gallon is finally cycled and fish seem very happy. I have large natural stone gravel with 15 to 20 rocks I’ve gathered from many hikes, a peaceful Buddha with fake plants behind him and a moss ball. I’ve been slowly changing over to live plants, but, in the process of pulling the old stuff out, created an ammonia spike that killed two guppies and sent my red tetras gasping at the surface! Poor guys.. I used some Prime and a few water changes spaced out a few days apart, and it seemed to work. I think the Anubias and water lettuce with their long roots are helping. I confess I didn’t realize how important water changes and cleaning were, because i thought my tank looked so good! So I’m slowly cleaning sections with the siphon and changing the water weekly now. I just got two albino corys, and learning after the fact (as I seem to do with all things fish related), that they like to be with 5 or more of their own, so I started cycling a 40 gallon breeder tank (not to breed fish, but because the shape is so cool!) and I scaped it with Florite Dark, a cool piece of spider wood, some dragon stone and I’ll be planting it out. I’m going to put the Corys in there with some buddies! They’re really cute.. Lots of questions and I’m excited to be a part of this forum. Love browsing through the threads. There’s so much to learn.

Attachments

• F193A1FC-F5AA-448F-AF81-F8AE8FD61632.jpeg
    F193A1FC-F5AA-448F-AF81-F8AE8FD61632.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 42
  • A691B83F-8795-44CC-A0B5-6F4FDC4C0C15.jpeg
    A691B83F-8795-44CC-A0B5-6F4FDC4C0C15.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 40

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore!

LHAquatics

For a beginner, you're amazing! Good Job

Kribensis27

Welcome! I think the corys will love the bigger tank! Also, I love your scape in the 40g!

Fisch

Welcome to the MTS...that is how it starts in in a flash you will have a fishroom
Fantastic job on the tanks, I am sure your cories will love it.

BabsandLoon

Welcome to FishLore! Your tanks look beautiful!

Sputnik

Welcome and keep on learning! That kind of attitute will help you succeed in fishkeeping. As for the mistakes, we all make them!

Magtom

Welcome and keep on learning! That kind of attitute will help you succeed in fishkeeping. As for the mistakes, we all make them!
Thank you, Sputnik! Feels good to be welcomed..
Thank you. They’re in my dining room and I just love going in there.
Welcome to the MTS...that is how it starts in in a flash you will have a fishroom
Fantastic job on the tanks, I am sure your cories will love it.
Thank you. I’m going to post some questions about cycling the 40 so I can get them in there!
Thanks BabsandLoon. I’m loving them more and more each time I work on them. I have to say, I was a bit shaken yesterday after reading a post where someone’s whole tank crashed, plants and all, from a heater malfunction. I was actually in tears with compassion for her..
Welcome! I think the corys will love the bigger tank! Also, I love your scape in the 40g!
Thanks Kribensis27! I like it too. I’m thinking of taking out the wood on the left side and making it like a meadow. I’ve been told it’s hard to grow low things, especially without co2, and I dont want to get into the expense and time of that. Seems like so much more work. Learning just the basics is taking g a lot of time for me..
Welcome to Fishlore!
Thank you! Happy to be here.
For a beginner, you're amazing! Good Job
Thank you Cory04! I’m guessing you’ve had your share of albino cories?

Dennis57

Hi, and Welcome to Fishlore. Tanks look great.

Magtom

Thank you.

Betta02

Hello, and welcome! Your scape in your 40 looks fantastic!!

Magtom

Oh thank you! It has water in it now and I took out the piece of spider wood on the left in the hopes of growing something low and green there.

Kribensis27

If you want a carpet that doesn’t require too much care, use dwarf sagittaria or cryptocoryne parva. Both of those are easy plants that will grow relatively fast and give you a nice carpet.

Magtom

Hey thanks Kribensis27! I actually did use Dwarf Sag on the right side, and I’m waiting to see if it takes. It’s a little too tall for what I’m going for on the left side; the “meadow”. Is the Cryptocoryne any shorter? I definitely want to stick with easy plants. I e never done it before and I’d like to stay away from CO2.

FishSupreme

More corydoras. About six is fine. Jumping into the world of co2 isn't that bad. Many Diy kits are for sale which aren't as daunting as the metal cylinders. For beginners Co2 can sometimes feel really scary, but with caution it can make a display tank that many will envy.

Kribensis27

Hey thanks Kribensis27! I actually did use Dwarf Sag on the right side, and I’m waiting to see if it takes. It’s a little too tall for what I’m going for on the left side; the “meadow”. Is the Cryptocoryne any shorter? I definitely want to stick with easy plants. I e never done it before and I’d like to stay away from CO2.
The crypt is usually fairly short. It depends on the conditions it's grown in, but it's almost always shorter than dwarf sag.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Loulou1
Replies
Views
Mandarabe
Replies
Views
CHJ
Replies
Views